Is there a genetic component to laziness?

• Medical
  • Thread starter kant
  • Start date
The question is the title of the thread. I am curious about the matter, because i read that alot of personality traits have an genetic component.

Answers and Replies

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Define laziness. There are probably genes that can make someone lethargic, surely. More subtle personality traits might also have a genetic component, but I'm not well read on the subject. Identical twins seperated at birth and not reunited until a study could be a powerful too to elucidate the details of inherited personality traits. I'm aware that many twins are being studied, I wonder how many of those studies have been strictly controlled so that twins don't convince each other that they have the same traits.

More subtle personality traits might also have a genetic component
What do you mean by subtle personality traits?

Define laziness
I am too 'laziness' to try the dictionary. In any case, i am sure some research psychologist might have thought of laziness as a personality trait, but might have consider it to be too controversal.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
More subtle than lethargic is want I meant, ie lazy. I did not find genetic studies into laziness in the literature.

Isn't laziness more of a value judgement, than a personal trait? A person is not inclined to exert energy in the way that another person wishes, and therefore they are lazy.

Mk
I never use more energy than I have to. Well, actually a lot of times I use too much. I am a very animated greeter.

I think its not a matter of genes but a matter of environment which effect the activity of the person.