1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Is there a genetic component to laziness?

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    The question is the title of the thread. I am curious about the matter, because i read that alot of personality traits have an genetic component.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Define laziness. There are probably genes that can make someone lethargic, surely. More subtle personality traits might also have a genetic component, but I'm not well read on the subject. Identical twins seperated at birth and not reunited until a study could be a powerful too to elucidate the details of inherited personality traits. I'm aware that many twins are being studied, I wonder how many of those studies have been strictly controlled so that twins don't convince each other that they have the same traits.

4. Feb 10, 2006 #3
    What do you mean by subtle personality traits?

I am too 'laziness' to try the dictionary. In any case, i am sure some research psychologist might have thought of laziness as a personality trait, but might have consider it to be too controversal.

5. Feb 10, 2006 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More subtle than lethargic is want I meant, ie lazy. I did not find genetic studies into laziness in the literature.

6. Feb 18, 2006 #5
    Isn't laziness more of a value judgement, than a personal trait? A person is not inclined to exert energy in the way that another person wishes, and therefore they are lazy.

7. Feb 18, 2006 #6

Mk

I never use more energy than I have to. Well, actually a lot of times I use too much. I am a very animated greeter.

8. Feb 24, 2006 #7
    I think its not a matter of genes but a matter of environment which effect the activity of the person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?