Is There a Map Projection Where Distances Remain Constant at All Latitudes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an equidistant projection of Earth, where distances are not distorted and 10 degrees of latitude at the equator is equal to 10 degrees of latitude at the Arctic Circle. The person seeking this projection is not concerned about the distortion of landmasses and oceans and is looking for maps in this format. The term "equidistant" is used to describe this type of projection and examples of different equidistant projections are mentioned. However, it is noted that creating an equidistant projection for the entire Earth is difficult near the poles due to infinite horizontal zoom.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I want a projection of Earth where distances are undistorted. i.e. 10 degrees of latitude at the equator is exactly the same map distance as 10 degrees of latitude at the Arctic Circle.

As a disqualified example, the Mercator Projection has map distance increasing with increasing latitude.

I don't care how this distorts the landmasses and oceans, I simply need something with equal gridmarks that can be used in a software program.

Does this type of projection have a name? I'm going to go looking for world maps in this format.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're just called equidistant - you can have a whole range of equidistant projections, conic/azimuthal/etc for a limited area you just have to pick the points you want to fix.

I don't know how you would get an equidistant for the whole Earth - it's a little tricky near the poles.

edit see http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/mapproj/mapproj_f.html for examples

NobodySpecial said:
They're just called equidistant - you can have a whole range of equidistant projections, conic/azimuthal/etc for a limited area you just have to pick the points you want to fix.

I don't know how you would get an equidistant for the whole Earth - it's a little tricky near the poles.

Yes, it tends toward infinite horizontal zoom near the poles. That's OK.

I'm having trouble finding any but the cheesiest of maps, as if drawn by a grade-schooler.

Last edited:

Related to Is There a Map Projection Where Distances Remain Constant at All Latitudes?

1. What is a grid projection on an Earth map?

A grid projection is a method of representing the spherical surface of the Earth on a flat map by dividing it into a grid of lines and coordinates. This allows for accurate measurement and navigation on the map.

2. How does a grid projection work?

A grid projection works by projecting the curved surface of the Earth onto a flat surface. This is done by dividing the Earth into smaller sections and projecting them onto a flat surface using mathematical formulas.

3. What are the benefits of using a grid projection on an Earth map?

One of the main benefits of using a grid projection on an Earth map is that it allows for accurate measurement and navigation. It also allows for the representation of a large area on a single map, making it easier to visualize and analyze data.

4. What are some common types of grid projections used for Earth maps?

Some common types of grid projections used for Earth maps include the Mercator projection, the Robinson projection, and the Peters projection. Each of these projections has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on the purpose of the map.

5. What are some potential distortions that can occur with grid projections on Earth maps?

Some potential distortions that can occur with grid projections on Earth maps include shape distortion, area distortion, and distance distortion. This is due to the challenge of representing a curved surface on a flat map.