Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a measure for every Borel σ-algebra?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Borel σ-algebra can be defined on every topological space. Does that mean that every topological space can be turned into a measure space?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2
    Yes, in a trivial way. Just define [itex]\mu(S)=0[/itex] for all S. Or take the counting measure. Or a point measure.

A better answer is actually Riesz representation theorem. This says that all regular measures on a locally compact Hausdorff space coincide with positive functionals

[tex]T:C_c(X)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

(with [itex]C_c(X)[/itex] the functions to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] with compact support). Such a functional exist because of the Hahn-Banach theorem.

The same thing can be done with [itex]C_0(X)[/itex] actually. In that case: the measures are the positive functionals, the probability measures are the states and the point measures represent the pure states on X.

In general, the existence of non-trivial measures is not a simple problem and requires set theory (see for example measurable cardinals)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. Feb 11, 2012 #3

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I wonder if the space has a cardinality greater than the continuum whether there are any measures other than the trivial one.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4
    The first thing to do is to define the word "the trivial one".

This is quite an interesting theory. In general, this is studied in Boolean algebras and the so-called measure algebras.

6. Feb 12, 2012 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent answer as always. Thanks. I've been meaning to study the Riesz representation theorem. It will be the first thing I do when I'm done with the basics of integration theory.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook