Is there a method to input new substances into HYSYS?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of HYSYS for a senior design project on converting corn into ethanol. The user is looking for a way to input new substances into HYSYS, and is directed to the support center for assistance. It is mentioned that HYSYS is primarily used for petroleum, but there is a feature to add other materials. The user is advised to use the "hypocomponents" feature and references are provided for additional support. The conversation also mentions a personal update about Brian's recent marriage.
jaxnnux
Hello,

I am doing a senior design project on converting corn into ethanol. I would like to perform my mass and energy balances on hysys. However, HYSYS does not have glucose and many other streams of substances that would be flowing through our process. Is there a method to input new substances into HYSYS?

Thanks so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried their support center?

The HYSYS literature indicates that is primarily for petroleum, but there should be a way to add other materials/properties. However, I am not familiar with the application/software.

use hypocomponents

There is a feature in HYSYS where you can use to generate components which cannot be found in the HYSYS library.

Goto basis environment and create hypothetical componet for your new components.

Perry and "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics" will have a bit of date for some of the components.

You will require to enter at least the NBP for the new component for HYSYS to estimate the rest of the properties for you.

I found http://support.aspentech.com has useful tips to use HYSYS.

Hope this helps.:smile:

Brian, just got married with Eve. :biggrin:
http://www.behappytogether.com

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I input new substances into HYSYS?

Yes, HYSYS allows users to input new substances into its database.

2. What is the process for adding new substances in HYSYS?

The process for adding new substances in HYSYS involves creating a new component in the Property Package Manager and providing the necessary physical and thermodynamic properties of the substance.

3. Do I need any special training or knowledge to input new substances into HYSYS?

While some knowledge of thermodynamics and physical properties is helpful, HYSYS provides a user-friendly interface for adding new substances and does not require any special training.

4. Can I import data from external sources to input new substances into HYSYS?

Yes, HYSYS allows users to import data from external sources such as Excel spreadsheets to input new substances into its database.

5. Are there any limitations to the number of substances that can be inputted into HYSYS?

There is no specific limit to the number of substances that can be inputted into HYSYS, but the performance of the software may be affected if there are a large number of substances in the database.