Is there a proof for this? n/2

• I
  • Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, there are a total of n! permutation matrices for any nxn matrix, where n is greater than 3. Additionally, there is a bijective function between odd and even permutations, meaning that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets. This can be shown by constructing a unique odd permutation for each even permutation, or vice versa. Therefore, the number of even and odd permutation matrices for any nxn matrix is n!/2.
Terrell
is there a proof that the number of even/odd permutation matrices of any nxn, where n is greater than 3, is n!/2? basically, i want to understand the derivation of n!/2. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easy to show that (a) there are in total n! permutation matrices and (b) there is a bijective function between odd and even permutations (e.g. swap two images). Combine both and you get n!/2 odd and n!/2 even permutations.

Likes Terrell
mfb said:
It is easy to show that (a) there are in total n! permutation matrices and (b) there is a bijective function between odd and even permutations (e.g. swap two images). Combine both and you get n!/2 odd and n!/2 even permutations.
how can i show the bijectiveness? sorry if my question is stupid

By constructing it. For each even permutation, find exactly one unique odd permutation, or vice versa. I gave an example how to do that.

Likes Terrell

1. Is there a mathematical proof for dividing a number by 2?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for dividing a number by 2. It is based on the concept of division and the properties of numbers.

2. What is the proof for dividing any number by 2?

The proof for dividing any number by 2 is based on the fact that division is the inverse operation of multiplication. In other words, dividing a number by 2 is the same as multiplying it by its inverse, which is 1/2.

3. How do you prove that dividing a number by 2 always results in a half?

This can be proven by using the basic definition of division, which states that dividing a number by another number is the same as multiplying it by the inverse of that number. In the case of dividing by 2, the inverse is 1/2, which when multiplied by any number will result in half of that number.

4. Can you prove that dividing a number by 2 will always result in a rational number?

Yes, dividing a number by 2 will always result in a rational number. This is because dividing a rational number by another rational number will always result in a rational number, and 2 is a rational number.

5. Is there a proof for dividing a number by 2 in different number systems?

Yes, there are proofs for dividing a number by 2 in different number systems. These proofs may differ depending on the properties and rules of the specific number system, but the concept of dividing by 2 remains the same.