Is There a Safer Alternative to Creating a Tree of Saturn with Lead Acetate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Saturn Tree
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Stephenk53
Messages
121
Reaction score
55
I wish to create a tree of saturn (crystal formation using lead acetate and zinc), however I have very little experience in chemistry and I know lead acetate is toxic but I do not know how toxic. I know how to make the tree but I want to know if I should or if there is a safer alternative that I can do that is similar to it.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Google for "lead acetate msds" (Material Safety Data Sheet).

In general most lead compounds are quite safe as long as you follow standard safety procedures (glasses, gloves, apron, don't touch with bare hands, don't inhale, don't eat). However, depending on where you live it is quite possible that is using it could be a legal nightmare.
 
Alright, I do have gloves and such, as far as legality I will check
 
Alright, do you know how I could store it outside of the water without it reacting and turning white