Is there a shorthand notation for the operation of saturation

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter stevenb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Notation Saturation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
stevenb
Messages
701
Reaction score
6
I'd like to know if there is an accepted shorthand mathematical notation for the operation of saturation. Saturation basically means to take the output of any functional operation (or operator) and subject the final answer to limits.

For example, I might have the function y=2x, and might want to limit the output to the range 0 to 10. To notate this, there are a few options; for example.

y=0 if x<0; y=2x if 0<x<5; y=10 if x>5

or, y=0 if 2x<0; y=2x if 0<2x<10; y=10 if 2x>10

or, u=2x; y=0 if u<0; y=10 if u>10; y=u otherwise

This case by case method is becoming awkward in some work I'm doing which involves using saturation functions often. Right now, I'm using my own shorthand notation as follows:

[tex]y={\rm sat}_0^{10} \{2x\}[/tex]

This works fine for my purposes, but I'd like to use an accepted notation if one exists.

Any help is appreciated.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathman said:
Usual notation would have y=max(0,min(10,2x))

Ah, I like that, and it works for my purposes. Thank you very much!