Is There a Trick to Solve for Theta in this Algebraic Equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scavok
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
scavok
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
http://home.comcast.net/~andykovacs/equation.GIF

g is a constant. I need to find theta.

Is there some trick I can do to cancel out the denominator in the root?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Set
[tex]y=\sqrt{\sin\theta}[/tex]

and see what type of equation you get for y.
 
scavok said:
http://home.comcast.net/~andykovacs/equation.GIF

g is a constant. I need to find theta.

Is there some trick I can do to cancel out the denominator in the root?
No, you can't cancel- but you can square. I would first divide the entire equation by [itex]g sin(\theta)[/itex] to get
[tex]\frac{20}{g sin(\theta)}= \frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}+ \sqrt{\frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}}+ 8.41[/tex]
I would even write it as
[tex]\frac{10}{7}\frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}= \frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}+ \sqrt{\frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}}+ 8.41[/tex]
because then I can let [itex]y= \frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}[/itex] and have
[tex]\frac{10}{7}y= y+ \sqrt{y}+ 8.41[/tex]
That gives
[tex]\frac{3}{7}y- 8.41= \sqrt{y}[/tex]
Square on both sides:
[tex](\frac{9}{49}y- 8.41)^2= y[/itex]<br /> <br /> Solve that quadratic equation for y and then solve <br /> [tex]y= \frac{14}{g sin(\theta)}[/tex]<br /> for [itex]\theta[/itex].[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you get y=-11.2432 and y=-1.0611 after solving the quadratic equation? If so then I probably screwed up with the physics.