Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way to disrupt air molecules?

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    I want to know if there is a way to push or disrupt air molecules around an object, or the device. Like some time of electrical field maybe?

How would one attempt to go about creating a space evacuated of air around the device, with a field, or a vacuum nearing evacuation.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    You would pretty much have a force-field if you did that, I don't think there is any way to do that reasonably.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    What do you mean by a force-field? Don't generate fields with electromagnetics? Those have forces.

Well can someone point me in the direction of where one could start?

How can you manipulate gaseous molecules of N, and O?

More importantly, how would one measure a result like this? You could have tubes at different heights off the surface of the device that ran to barometer's.

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    Actually, just use this "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_window" [Broken] and your set. It is a force field for all intents and purposes!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Oct 26, 2009 #5
    Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of just repelling the gaseous atoms away from the device, in all directions. Like a short distance, x. a few cm, half a meter, I dunno.

The plasma window is interesting but it has plasma on the outside which I don't think I want in this experiment.

7. Oct 27, 2009 #6
    Yeah, you wouldn't want to hold it for too long.

If you need a device that repels air strongly enough to hold a good vacuum while not repelling your hand at all your gonna need to do some research for a while.

8. Oct 27, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The ideas being talked about here are just not possible with current technology.

Vacuums can be created inside rigid-walled vessels, but there is no way to just repel air molecules and create a vacuum in mid-air, so to speak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook