Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way to mass-save posts?

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1

Gold Member

Without going to each of them individually?

So I want to preserve memories from my past, and mass save posts from http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=t&fn=3 . archive.org has stopped collecting data from it, and I fear that the forums may be deleted to save server space when they become inactive. Is there a way to do it? [in lieu of asking admins?]

Also, is there a way to mass save files in a directory?

Like that? Without individually right-clicking save as, etc?

And is there a way to see a directory like that when the webpage already has an index.html?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Feb 25, 2007 #3
    does that work on databases?
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Wow, that's so awesome! Though a lot of the posts I saved had to come in the form of display.cgi_xxx.html (since display.cgi.html) turned out to be the name of the posts.
  6. Feb 28, 2007 #5

Gold Member

What about massive threads like this though?
    It only links to a small number of all of the pages in the entire thread. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to write a program to mass save the URLs with a for(x = 1, x <= n, x++) loop as in...

But I don't know how to write such a program. there could be such an interface elsewhere.
  7. Mar 5, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Okay, the problem with such download managers applied to forums is that forum threads all have URLs with a label like "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=158733" - and then the download manager starts renaming the showthread.php into showthread(1).php, showthread(2).php, etc... So then I can't access the threads as links from a central forum directory.

The solution would be for a download manager to automatically rename links and change the main page such that it maps a 1-1 correspondence with the renamed links. Only that the links are renamed, but the main page links are not modified as such.

Spiderzilla addresses the problem, but only after downloading huge amounts of irrelevant data that goes beyond the mere links. Maybe there is an option to save links only up to one link deep that I should try...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  8. Mar 5, 2007 #7

Gold Member

YAY Spiderzilla is awesome once you set the mirroring depth to 2!! The problem is though - what of websites that you need a log-in and password for?

EDIT: Okay, httrack allows you to download sites using browser cookie settings. Because it arranges the downloaded site by the original site's relative link-structure, URLs with showthread.php are saved as different URLs. That will work for forum cgi scripts at the very least.

It's not perfect though - a few links are skipped for some reason. So when I right click and click page info, then links, on Firefox, a small minority of links are still directed towards the original URL [even if I disable the "scan for duplicate URLs" feature]

Related: http://forum.httrack.com/readmsg/8721/index.html

[at least I'm posting this just in case others google something similar - PF is listed pretty high on google]
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  9. Jun 21, 2007 #8
    The idea is great. Do you think creating a public database out of it? It would be like a complete FAQ section. But, again, a search for the right answer will be difficult.

search engine placement
  10. Jun 21, 2007 #9

Gold Member

On a side note - this is useful when used in conjunction with Google Desktop (Google isn't able to search for things out of the deep web). Still, Google Desktop is known to skip over some folders for some reason (and I can't configure it to update itself).

I corrected the abovementioned problem by using an old version of Httrack (the latest beta version has its bugs).

Httrack already has its forum FAQ. Personally, I find dynamic forum FAQs to be superior to static FAQs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?