Easy ways you can support Physics Forums

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, PF is a community of science and math passionate people from all over the globe. It is easy to use and provides a great resource for those seeking information. Participation is important, as is linking to PF on your website and social media profiles. The monthly costs are near four figures, so becoming a Gold member is a great way to help support PF. Finally, sharing PF content with friends and colleagues is a great way to get the word out.
We are all members of an amazing community of science and math passionate people from all over the globe. However, "amazing" doesn't just happen over night or by itself. "Amazing" happens when members take pride and responsibility for the health of the community. It's like a tomato plant. The tasty fruit the plant provides does not happen by accident. The seed must be planted in good soil, have fresh water, lots of sun and be pest free etc. Only then can you enjoy the tasty fruit. At its heart PF is only an empty vessel. PF is what you put into it. Let's put the "amazing" into it!

Here are some basic ways you can improve and support PF

Visit everyday and participate
The easiest and most basic way to support PF is to simply use it. Visit every day, see what is new and reply when you have something to add. Participation is the blood in the PF veins. Quality, civility and productivity are the antibodies against any nasties that stop by.

Link to PF on your webpage
The best way you can promote PF is by linking to PF via your website. If you run a website, blog or college web page, consider adding a link to PF. That way visitors to your site will become aware of the awesome resource that is PF. This also works on social media profile pages.

Reply to Unanswered Threads
Members often join the community because they have a question or are looking for advice. PF believes every thread should receive a response. Even if it just to ask for more information. Replying to a thread shows that member respect.

Share on Social Media
The new way to find interesting content is through social media sites. If you come across a thread you found interesting consider sharing the link on your favorite social media sites. This helps PF get more members. More members means more diverse discussions. There a few social media links in the sidebar of most pages. Otherwise just copy and paste the URL.

Share with friends and colleagues
Many members are going to school for a science degree or work in a science profession. That means you have access to loads of other people who might find PF interesting. Do them a favor and tell them about PF. If you out in a public place and you hear someone talking science, tell them about PF. They will thank you!

Upgrade to Gold Membership
Being a Gold member shows the community you are serious about making sure PF is financially stable. Physics Forums monthly costs are near four figures, so every little bit helps. Gold members also get a bunch of valuable perks.

You can also easily donate directly using this link.

Post PF flyers around campus

If you want to help people who most need you must promote where they are. Pinning up PF flyers on campus tack boards is a great way for students and professors to learn about PF. Nearby coffee shops and cafes also often have tack boards.

Buy on Amazon etc via PF
PF has opened an affiliate account with Amazon. That means if you click a link to one of these stores on PF then PF receives around 5% of your purchase amount. That helps with our bills! Great for when you are shopping for a holiday or the new school semester.

"Like" and Thank members that help you
Lots of members spend a great deal of effort helping others. The only way they know if their efforts are appreciated is by replying to the thread with a "Thanks" or clicking the "Like" button inside their reply you enjoyed. Showing appreciation will make it more likely they will help you again in the future. So share the love and "Like" away!

Become a PF Insights Author
The Insights blog is off to an amazing start. It's really become an amazingly diverse collection of science and math content. Content is getting linked all over the internet and the feedback is all very positive. If you have at least a BS in a science degree and wish to contribute please apply today!

Order a PF T-Shirt
As low as $15.99 with no markup! Wear your support around town and you'll amazed at the compliments you'll get!These are just a few basic ways you can support PF. Have you done anything that is not listed? Do you have other ways to recommend?

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Kashmala, Fae56gq, Math100 and 81 others
Physics news on Phys.org
http://people.ucsc.edu/~ralara/ :biggrin: Representing on my webpage and on my instagram! Let's get the forums known!

Likes hirsh, Dami121, makemoneyu and 1 other person
RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
http://people.ucsc.edu/~ralara/ :biggrin: Representing on my webpage and on my instagram! Let's get the forums known!
Looks good! But you have a few images broken and the link to PF is a bit bizarre :)

Likes hirsh, Babadag, RaulTheUCSCSlug and 2 others
Yes, I have to fix the image links unfortunately. It should be the physics forums logo right next to it! and it also is a redirect link through google to my pf profile. But I will try to learn some html over the summer to do everything myself instead of using google! :smile:

Likes hirsh and (deleted member)
RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Yes, I have to fix the image links unfortunately. It should be the physics forums logo right next to it! and it also is a redirect link through google to my pf profile. But I will try to learn some html over the summer to do everything myself instead of using google! :smile:
Just use https://www.physicsforums.com ;)

Likes epsilonita
Noted, I'll change it asap!

Likes WWGD, makemoneyu and Greg Bernhardt
2 things.

1)if I buy products through amazon.com (indian) will you receive 7% ?

2)Facebook integration is not working.(But I always share your posts)

Likes Bibleman, Greg Bernhardt, (deleted member) and 1 other person
AdityaDev said:
1)if I buy products through amazon.com (indian) will you receive 7% ?

At this time it looks like amazon.com does not work

AdityaDev said:
2)Facebook integration is not working.(But I always share your posts)

For logging in? We just upgraded, can you try again?

i am getting this error message:
App Not Set Up: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.

AdityaDev said:
i am getting this error message:
App Not Set Up: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.
While doing what?

Likes gianeshwar
MY PF -> External accounts -> associate with facebook

AdityaDev said:
MY PF -> External accounts -> associate with facebook
What happens when you try? On my end it says the connection is valid.

a new tab opens and goes to facebook. then you get the error message.
my laptop charger is damaged and I am using my tab now. (same thing happens in my laptop). I will take some picture and upload asap.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
here are the pics
Screenshot1.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

after logging in,

Screenshot3.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades
USA members receive the Gear Package which includes a PF Pencil, Pen, Sticker and promo cards.

USA members receive the Gear++ Package which includes a PF T-Shirt, Pencil, Pen, Sticker and promo cards.

Last edited:
You necessarily have to pay for gold membership?

How do I notify you on the forums after I share my PF on social media. Oh, and which media?

Likes Tom Booth
Endan Rarity said:
You necessarily have to pay for gold membership?

yes, because that shows that you are a financial supporter that helps keep the forum running :smile:
Web hosting, data storage and bandwidth all cost money

Dave

Endan Rarity said:
How do I notify you on the forums after I share my PF on social media. Oh, and which media?

scroll to the very bottom right corner of any pageD

Maybe it would be nice to include an option for new members outside of the USA to still receive their "gear package", perhaps at a reasonable additional shipping fee?

Likes Babadag and Shano
I would still be curious about the above.

I'm willing to support you and try out a one-year gold membership, provided you could seriously look into possibilities of international shipping of the "gear++ package" for those that live overseas and purchase a lifetime membership.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Krylov said:
I'm willing to support you and try out a one-year gold membership, provided you could seriously look into possibilities of international shipping of the "gear++ package" for those that live overseas and purchase a lifetime membership.
I'll lose money on international shipping :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll lose money on international shipping :)
I thought so, but what if the member pays the shipping costs in addition to the membership? Would you still be willing to arrange the shipping? I would be willing to proceed in such a way, should I decide for the lifetime membership after a year.

Likes Nurman Haryadi and Greg Bernhardt
Krylov said:
I thought so, but what if the member pays the shipping costs in addition to the membership? Would you still be willing to arrange the shipping? I would be willing to proceed in such a way, should I decide for the lifetime membership after a year.
Absolutely we have a deal. :)

I'll find out the shipping cost.

I'm currently in the middle of a move. We can coordinate once I am settled later this week.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Very nice! Then later this evening I will purchase the one-year membership, without expecting any package. If I still enjoy coming here as much in one year as I do now, I will purchase the lifetime membership and in addition pay you the shipping costs for the "gear++ package", so no hurry to find out the shipping costs now.

Thank you for all the good work and good luck moving!

Likes Greg Bernhardt and mfb
Awesome thanx
i was hoping if i could have a chrome version of the app too

how to participate in survey and win. when click onlink it open discussion thread for PF t shirt.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We are all members of an amazing community of science and math interested people from all over the globe. However, "amazing" doesn't just happen over night or by itself. "Amazing" happens when members take pride and responsibility for the health of the community. It's like a tomato plant. The tasty fruit the plant provides does not happen by accident. The seed must be planted in good soil, have fresh water, lots of sun and be pest free etc. Only then can you enjoy the tasty fruit. At it's heart PF is only an empty vessel. PF is what you put into it. Let's put the "amazing" into it!

Here are some basic ways you can improve and support PF

Visit everyday and participate

The easiest and most basic way to support PF is to simply use it. Visit every day, see what is new and reply when you have something to add. Participation is the blood in the PF veins. Quality, civility and productivity are the antibodies against any nasties that stop by.

Link to PF on your webpage
The best way you can promote PF is by linking to PF via your website. If you run a website, blog or college web page, consider adding a link to PF. That way visitors to your site will become aware of the awesome resource that is PF. This also works on social media profile pages.

https://www.physicsforums.com/unanswered/threads
Members often join the community because they have a question or are looking for advice. PF believes every thread should receive a response. Even if it just to ask for more information. Replying to a thread shows that member respect.

Share on Social Media
The new way to find interesting content is through social media sites. If you come across a thread you found interesting consider sharing the link on your favorite social media sites. This helps PF get more members. More members means more diverse discussions. There a few social media links at the bottom of every thread to help you. Otherwise just copy and paste the URL.

Share with friends and colleagues

Many members are going to school for a science degree or work in a science profession. That means you have access to loads of other people who might find PF interesting. Do them a favor and tell them about PF. If you out in a public place and you hear someone talking science, tell them about PF. They will thank you!

Being a Gold member shows the community you are serious about making sure PF is financially stable. Physics Forums costs are near four figures so every little bit helps. Gold members also get a bunch of valuable perks. You can also easily donate directly using this link.

Post PF flyers around campus
If you want to help people who most need you must promote where they are. Pinning up PF flyers on campus tack boards is a great way for students and professors to learn about PF. Nearby coffee shops and cafes also often have tack boards.

Buy on Amazon etc via PF

PF has opened affiliate account with your favorite online stores. That means if you click a link to one of these stores on PF then PF receives around 7% of your purchase amount. That really helps with our bills! Great for when you are shopping for a holiday or the new school semester.

Like and Thank members that help you
Lots of members spend a great deal of effort helping others. The only way they know if their efforts are appreciated is by replying to the thread with a "Thanks" or clicking the "Like" button inside their reply you enjoyed. Showing appreciation will make it more likely they will help you again in the future. So share the love and "Like" away!

Download PF Mobile App
The mobile age is here and PF has responded by offering an iOS and Android app. Only downside is that they don't display LaTeX. If you have a smart phone you need these for quick and effective forum use. Download today!

Become a PF Insights Author
The Insights blog is off to an amazing start. It's really become an amazingly diverse collection of science and math content. Content is getting linked all over the internet and the feedback is all very positive. If you have at least a BS in a science degree and wish to contribute please apply today!

Order a PF T-Shirt
As low as $9.99! Wear your support around town and you'll amazed at the compliments you'll get!These are just a few basic ways you can support PF. Have you done anything that is not listed? Do you have other ways to recommend?
What you are doing for science education is fantastic. Do you need donations?

Likes Math100 and Greg Bernhardt