Is There a Way to Recover Data from a Corrupted PSD File in Photoshop CS4?

• Thread starter hasommars
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation is about a matte painter who encountered a problem with Photoshop while saving a PSD file. The computer shut down due to a UPS fault and when the system was restarted, the PSD file could not be opened due to compatibility issues with Photoshop CS4. The person is looking for a way to recover the data, even if it's in JPEG format, as they worked hard on the project. Some solutions were suggested, such as using a PSD viewer software or trying to recover with older versions of Photoshop, but it may not always be successful.
hasommars
hi , I am a matte painter and I am facing a problem concerning photoshop . i was working on a psd. file and after finishing my work i press ctrl+s to save it but unfortunately in the middle of the saving process the c.p.u. has been turned off because of the u.p.s fault after restarting the system ,i try to open my same psd file but i got an error msg. ( could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of photoshop). I am using photoshop cs4. Please let me know if there is any possibility to get my data back .even as jpeg file.. i worked so hard on that project. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, hasommars.

Googling on the phrase "How to recover a psd file" shows plenty of links. From what I've read if you don't have auto-save set up, you're probably not going to be able to recover with older versions of photoshop.

Likes berkeman
Try soft type http://www.fixya.com/support/t25599066-psd_viewer_soft
but in most cases nothing will not help myself I practice different stages of preservation work in different documents, so if I can file damage at least continue to work with the earlier phase, but not from the outset.

1. What program do I need to open a .psd file?

You will need Adobe Photoshop to open a .psd file. It is the industry-standard software for working with and editing .psd files.

2. Can I open a .psd file in any other program?

Yes, you can open a .psd file in other programs such as GIMP, Corel PaintShop Pro, and Adobe Illustrator. However, some features may be limited or not available in these programs.

3. How do I open a .psd file in Adobe Photoshop?

To open a .psd file in Adobe Photoshop, you can either go to File > Open and select the file, or you can drag and drop the file directly into the Photoshop window.

4. What do I do if I don't have Adobe Photoshop?

If you do not have Adobe Photoshop, you can use one of the other programs mentioned earlier or download a free trial of Photoshop from Adobe's website. You can also ask a friend or colleague to convert the .psd file to a different format for you.

5. Can I open a .psd file on a mobile device?

Yes, there are mobile versions of Adobe Photoshop available for both iOS and Android devices. You can also use other apps such as Pixlr or Canva to open and edit .psd files on your mobile device.