Is there a way to start posting, leave, and later rescue started post?

• Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses tips for posting on a forum, specifically in regards to saving your post and continuing it at a later time. The options mentioned include copying and pasting to a word processor, using the "save draft" option on the forum, or relying on the forum's auto-save feature. It is also noted that these options may not always be reliable and using a word processor or email draft may be a better solution for some users.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Summary:: I want to reply the thread "Principle square root of a complex number, why is unique?", but ain't got time enough to do it at the first attempt. Any tip to post, leave, and continue later?

Is there any way to store a post, just to finish it later on? Maybe copy and paste somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can copy/paste it to any word processor of your choice and then paste it back later but mostly that's not needed since the forum saves your partial post. Just come back to the thread and scroll to the bottom and it will still be there (possibly minus the last little bit you typed).

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356, russ_watters and FactChecker
There is a "save draft" option in the icon menu at the top of the edit window when you're composing - it's the picture of an old-fashioned diskette. Use it and your post will be there ready for continued editing when you come back. And as @phinds says above, the forum also autosaves drafts, although that's a bit haphazard because you don't control the exact moment when the save happens.

I've never tried using this for an initial post to start a thread, only for replies within a thread.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes collinsmark, phinds and mcastillo356
Thanks, phinds, Nurgatory!

I’ve often seen that I type a partial answer get distracted go back to the web page and magically most or all of what I typed is still there.

however, your mileage may vary and the word processor or even gmail/email draft approach for those without a word processor present will work.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356

1. Is it possible to start posting and then leave and come back to rescue my post?

Yes, there are several ways to do this depending on the platform you are using. Some social media platforms have a "draft" feature where you can save your post and come back to it later. Alternatively, you can use a scheduling tool to set a specific time for your post to be published. Another option is to save your post as a draft in a document or note-taking app and copy and paste it when you are ready to post.

2. How can I ensure that my post is saved and not lost if I have to leave suddenly?

Again, it depends on the platform you are using. Some platforms have an auto-save feature that saves your post as you type. If the platform does not have this feature, you can save your post periodically by clicking the "save" button or using keyboard shortcuts like "Ctrl + S" for Windows or "Command + S" for Mac.

3. Can I edit my post after it has been published?

Yes, most social media platforms allow you to edit your posts even after they have been published. However, keep in mind that some platforms, like Twitter, do not allow you to edit the text of your tweet once it has been posted. In this case, you can delete the tweet and repost it with the correct information.

4. Is there a way to retrieve a post that I accidentally deleted?

It depends on the platform and the type of post. For example, on Facebook, you can go to your "Activity Log" and filter by "Deleted" to see if your post is still recoverable. On Twitter, you can try contacting their support team to see if they can retrieve your deleted tweet. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your post before hitting the delete button to avoid this situation.

5. How can I make sure my post is saved and accessible from any device?

If you are using a social media platform, your post will be saved on their servers, so you can access it from any device as long as you are logged into your account. If you are saving your post in a document or note-taking app, make sure to save it in a cloud-based storage service, like Google Drive or Dropbox, so you can access it from any device with an internet connection.