Is there a way to start posting, leave, and later rescue started post?

mcastillo356
Gold Member
Summary:: I want to reply the thread "Principle square root of a complex number, why is unique?", but ain't got time enough to do it at the first attempt. Any tip to post, leave, and continue later?

Is there any way to store a post, just to finish it later on? Maybe copy and paste somewhere?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
You can copy/paste it to any word processor of your choice and then paste it back later but mostly that's not needed since the forum saves your partial post. Just come back to the thread and scroll to the bottom and it will still be there (possibly minus the last little bit you typed).

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356, russ_watters and FactChecker
Nugatory
Mentor
There is a "save draft" option in the icon menu at the top of the edit window when you're composing - it's the picture of an old-fashioned diskette. Use it and your post will be there ready for continued editing when you come back. And as @phinds says above, the forum also autosaves drafts, although that's a bit haphazard because you don't control the exact moment when the save happens.

I've never tried using this for an initial post to start a thread, only for replies within a thread.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes collinsmark, phinds and mcastillo356
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Thanks, phinds, Nurgatory!

I’ve often seen that I type a partial answer get distracted go back to the web page and magically most or all of what I typed is still there.

however, your mileage may vary and the word processor or even gmail/email draft approach for those without a word processor present will work.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356

Suggested for: Is there a way to start posting, leave, and later rescue started post?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies