Is there an entymologist in the house?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
I am more of an etymologist, although I admit a facination with interesting creatures. I apologize for the out-of-focus image, but can you tell me about this bug? I stacked firewood today and this fellow was a regular companion. I moved him out of harm's way a couple of times and he kept coming back to the woodpile, so I imagine that he might be a bug that is specialized to do something with wood or with the organisms that reside on wood. The "eyes" on the thorax are quite startling - I assume it helps ward off predators.

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4509/bugeyes001id3.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
WOW!!!
I wish my Dad was still around, he was a biologist and could have said what it was.

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Click beetle, colloquially, elater or elateridae otherwise. Turn him on his back and wait --- you'll find out what the name means.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Those things utterly disgust me.

- Warren

turbo
Gold Member
Bystander said:
Click beetle, colloquially, elater or elateridae otherwise. Turn him on his back and wait --- you'll find out what the name means.
I found out by prodding him (trying to move him to safety) that he could perfom some amazing jumps, and I should have mentioned that. Thanks - it fits really well.

Edit: This is the guy (the one on the left).
http://www.stephencresswell.com/s/elaters.html

I never saw one before, but with the warming trend, there is a lot of stuff in Maine that we have never had when I was a kid.

Last edited: