Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there an entymologist in the house?

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I am more of an etymologist, although I admit a facination with interesting creatures. I apologize for the out-of-focus image, but can you tell me about this bug? I stacked firewood today and this fellow was a regular companion. I moved him out of harm's way a couple of times and he kept coming back to the woodpile, so I imagine that he might be a bug that is specialized to do something with wood or with the organisms that reside on wood. The "eyes" on the thorax are quite startling - I assume it helps ward off predators.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

WOW!!!
    I wish my Dad was still around, he was a biologist and could have said what it was.

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Click beetle, colloquially, elater or elateridae otherwise. Turn him on his back and wait --- you'll find out what the name means.

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those things utterly disgust me.

- Warren

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I found out by prodding him (trying to move him to safety) that he could perfom some amazing jumps, and I should have mentioned that. Thanks - it fits really well.

Edit: This is the guy (the one on the left).
    http://www.stephencresswell.com/s/elaters.html

I never saw one before, but with the warming trend, there is a lot of stuff in Maine that we have never had when I was a kid.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?