1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Is There any Coding Bootcamp Worth it?

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    I was thinking of Free Code Camp https://www.freecodecamp.com/ but not sure. I would appreciate some advice?!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2016 #2
    I have no direct experience with freecodecamp.com, but according to their FAQ, they state that they are not a coding bootcamp. Since its free, you've got nothing to lose.

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3
    The price is right: free. The opportunity cost however is high. It takes 1,600 hours to complete the program so I wouldn't want to make a commitment to a substandard program if there's something better out there. Thanks for replying.

5. Dec 8, 2016 #4
    First, you're in no way "making a committment" to freecodecamp by doing it, you're free to start and stop whenever, and you're not in any way obligated to give up anything other than your free time to do it (no need to quit your job to do it like other code bootcamps typically require). Second, 1,600 hours to complete is more of a really rough estimate. How long it actually takes you is really dependent on how quickly you pick up the material, and you may find you finish it much faster.

Give it a try, you risk nothing other than time, and even then, if you find it's not helping you after a few days or weeks of effort, you can try something else.

Edit: As for the material itself, what I've seen is pretty decent. There are places where they don't give a lot of guidance, so you're expected to find some answers yourself, but that's not at all a bad thing since it's representative of the real world.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. Dec 8, 2016 #5
    I do like the idea of helping a charity. Thnaks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted