Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any history about where you live

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I live in a small village where there is little history apart from being mentioned in the dooms day book, we have a Roman fort near to us on the foss way, our nearest town is Warwick with its castle, apart from that our area is very boring unless you want to go to Stratford on Avon
    which is 15 miles away.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2
    San Diego is one of the major ports described by Dana in his autobiographical book, Two Years Before the Mast. He describes what San Diego, its harbor, and weather were like back then in great detail, which is a kick for anyone living here now. Back then it was completely rural, nothing but cattle ranches and beautiful scenery. Anyway, that book is considered a "classic" and is often compared to Melville's autobiographical accounts of his times as a lowly seaman.

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Elsewhere the grass is greener.

5. Mar 10, 2016 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

My town was mostly a sugar beet farm until the early 1900s

6. Mar 10, 2016 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

7. Mar 10, 2016 #6
    Some of my distant family was buried around twenty miles form where I live, over a hundred fifty years ago. They were some of the first to come to this side of the Atlantic from Germany.

Around here, entire towns have a reputation for being haunted. Only the bravest wander around in the woodlands here after nightfall.

Grouse... bull.... or chupacabra?!?

8. Mar 10, 2016 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

9. Mar 10, 2016 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

The Calapooia, Santiam or Willamette Indians probably camped out along my creek. I have found numerous indian artifacts, including a large stone with a flat side...just the right size to hold in your hand and grind corn or wheat with against another rock. At the beginning of my dead end road is an old school house that is still used by local teachers to bring their classes on field trips. It's pretty cool. :biggrin:

10. Mar 11, 2016 #9
    Stratford on Avon? Is that where Shakespeare was from? I remember that faintly from my HS project about Hamlet :-)

My little town is called Handlová which stems from name Handl. He was a German merchant who lived here and many other German people as well. It was a town of miners. Brown coal is still mined today, though less than in the past. Germans were sent away after WWII but some still visit during the summer (which means selling lots of Marlboro cigarettes for us :-))
    There is a castle nearby.
    In the town centre, there is a baroque church of St. Catherine and a chapel.
    This year we celebrate 640 years from first written mention.

11. Mar 11, 2016 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Yes Shakespeare was born in S-ON-A, he used to visit the local orchards and get drunk, i think he wrote many of his plays under the influence.
    How old is the castle Sophia? what is your main product now?

12. Mar 11, 2016 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Wow you found a mill stone any arrow heads?

13. Mar 11, 2016 #12
    My home lies adjacent to the ruins of a 14th century castle. Indeed, one of the watchtowers lies on my grounds.

Within 2 kilometres are two stone circles from late neolithic or early bronze age.

I can see the site of the Battle of Harlaw, where the Lord of the Isles fought the Earl of Mar in 1411.
    And the site of the Battle of Barra, where Robert the Bruce fought one his rivals in 1308.

A couple of miles away is Bennachie, one of the proposed locations for the battle of Mons Graupius in AD83 between Roman Legions, led by Agricola and the Caledonii. Nearby are the remains of a Roman marching camp - one of the pieces of evidence supporting Bennachie as the site of the battle.

The nearby market town of Inverurie dates from 1558 and saw a battle in 1745 as part of the Jacobite uprising.

(If anyone thinks they can figure out where I live from this information, then they have no idea just how many ruined castles there are in Aberdeenshire!)

14. Mar 11, 2016 #13

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  15. Mar 11, 2016 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Now that is what i call history, i would love to be able to take my metal detector around that area.

16. Mar 11, 2016 #15
    Trying to imagine drunk Shakespeare :-) it is true that alcohol helps the creativity :-p
    The castle was built in the 12th century and had been reconstructed several times, last reconstruction was in the 19th century when Duke Palffy tried to remake it to resemble French castles. He did that for a certain lady but she refused him anyway. :-/
    Some men are still miners, some people work in services and some work manually for transnational companies in nearby factories. One of them makes cables, other one works with steel.
    There's also a settlement of Roma (Gypsy) community and a few people are employed in social services aimed specifically for them.

What is the product of your town?

17. Mar 11, 2016 #16
    That sounds so romantic! Must visit England again and see all the historical sites!

18. Mar 11, 2016 #17

wolram

Gold Member

You have me thinking now, our local town used to have AP Lockeed, Fords foundry and Flavels factory, but they have all gone now, we seem to have several small places producing all kinds of things, i know a lot of people commute to London, the rest must be white collar workers.

19. Mar 11, 2016 #18

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been there .

20. Mar 11, 2016 #19
    Lots of history, I'm sure: most of it unwritten, unremembered.

21. Mar 11, 2016 #20
    My area was founded by a Mr. Kauffman. He came to the US looking for a job. No luck in NYC. No luck in Detroit. En route to Chicago he was shipwrecked on the shores of Lake Huron, where he found employment as a logger. He acquired a large tract of land that no one else wanted. To this day there is little demand.

The original settlers were French. The Erie Canal allowed the United States to displace them and dominate the area.

The 1871 fire that began in Chicago 500 miles away spread over the entire state of Michigan, including nearby areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted