Is there any history about where you live

• History
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, San Diego was a major port described by Dana in his autobiographical book, Two Years Before the Mast. He describes what San Diego, its harbor, and weather were like back then in great detail, which is a kick for anyone living here now. Back then it was completely rural, nothing but cattle ranches and beautiful scenery.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I live in a small village where there is little history apart from being mentioned in the dooms day book, we have a Roman fort near to us on the foss way, our nearest town is Warwick with its castle, apart from that our area is very boring unless you want to go to Stratford on Avon
which is 15 miles away.

Science news on Phys.org
San Diego is one of the major ports described by Dana in his autobiographical book, Two Years Before the Mast. He describes what San Diego, its harbor, and weather were like back then in great detail, which is a kick for anyone living here now. Back then it was completely rural, nothing but cattle ranches and beautiful scenery. Anyway, that book is considered a "classic" and is often compared to Melville's autobiographical accounts of his times as a lowly seaman.

wolram said:
our area is very boring .

Elsewhere the grass is greener.

Likes 1oldman2
My town was mostly a sugar beet farm until the early 1900s

Some of my distant family was buried around twenty miles form where I live, over a hundred fifty years ago. They were some of the first to come to this side of the Atlantic from Germany.

Around here, entire towns have a reputation for being haunted. Only the bravest wander around in the woodlands here after nightfall.

Grouse... bull... or chupacabra?!?

Likes CrazyNinja and Sophia
The Calapooia, Santiam or Willamette Indians probably camped out along my creek. I have found numerous indian artifacts, including a large stone with a flat side...just the right size to hold in your hand and grind corn or wheat with against another rock. At the beginning of my dead end road is an old school house that is still used by local teachers to bring their classes on field trips. It's pretty cool. :biggrin:

wolram said:
I live in a small village where there is little history apart from being mentioned in the dooms day book, we have a Roman fort near to us on the foss way, our nearest town is Warwick with its castle, apart from that our area is very boring unless you want to go to Stratford on Avon
which is 15 miles away.
Stratford on Avon? Is that where Shakespeare was from? I remember that faintly from my HS project about Hamlet :-)

My little town is called Handlová which stems from name Handl. He was a German merchant who lived here and many other German people as well. It was a town of miners. Brown coal is still mined today, though less than in the past. Germans were sent away after WWII but some still visit during the summer (which means selling lots of Marlboro cigarettes for us :-))
There is a castle nearby.
In the town centre, there is a baroque church of St. Catherine and a chapel.
This year we celebrate 640 years from first written mention.

Sophia said:
Stratford on Avon? Is that where Shakespeare was from? I remember that faintly from my HS project about Hamlet :-)

My little town is called Handlová which stems from name Handl. He was a German merchant who lived here and many other German people as well. It was a town of miners. Brown coal is still mined today, though less than in the past. Germans were sent away after WWII but some still visit during the summer (which means selling lots of Marlboro cigarettes for us :-))
There is a castle nearby.
In the town centre, there is a baroque church of St. Catherine and a chapel.
This year we celebrate 640 years from first written mention.

Yes Shakespeare was born in S-ON-A, he used to visit the local orchards and get drunk, i think he wrote many of his plays under the influence.
How old is the castle Sophia? what is your main product now?

Likes CrazyNinja
Tsu said:
The Calapooia, Santiam or Willamette Indians probably camped out along my creek. I have found numerous indian artifacts, including a large stone with a flat side...just the right size to hold in your hand and grind corn or wheat with against another rock. At the beginning of my dead end road is an old school house that is still used by local teachers to bring their classes on field trips. It's pretty cool. :biggrin:

Wow you found a mill stone any arrow heads?

My home lies adjacent to the ruins of a 14th century castle. Indeed, one of the watchtowers lies on my grounds.

Within 2 kilometres are two stone circles from late neolithic or early bronze age.

I can see the site of the Battle of Harlaw, where the Lord of the Isles fought the Earl of Mar in 1411.
And the site of the Battle of Barra, where Robert the Bruce fought one his rivals in 1308.

A couple of miles away is Bennachie, one of the proposed locations for the battle of Mons Graupius in AD83 between Roman Legions, led by Agricola and the Caledonii. Nearby are the remains of a Roman marching camp - one of the pieces of evidence supporting Bennachie as the site of the battle.

The nearby market town of Inverurie dates from 1558 and saw a battle in 1745 as part of the Jacobite uprising.

(If anyone thinks they can figure out where I live from this information, then they have no idea just how many ruined castles there are in Aberdeenshire!)

Likes 1oldman2, CrazyNinja, Tsu and 1 other person
Ophiolite said:
My home lies adjacent to the ruins of a 14th century castle. Indeed, one of the watchtowers lies on my grounds.

Within 2 kilometres are two stone circles from late neolithic or early bronze age.

I can see the site of the Battle of Harlaw, where the Lord of the Isles fought the Earl of Mar in 1411.
And the site of the Battle of Barra, where Robert the Bruce fought one his rivals in 1308.

A couple of miles away is Bennachie, one of the proposed locations for the battle of Mons Graupius in AD83 between Roman Legions, led by Agricola and the Caledonii. Nearby are the remains of a Roman marching camp - one of the pieces of evidence supporting Bennachie as the site of the battle.

The nearby market town of Inverurie dates from 1558 and saw a battle in 1745 as part of the Jacobite uprising.

(If anyone thinks they can figure out where I live from this information, then they have no idea just how many ruined castles there are in Aberdeenshire!)

Now that is what i call history, i would love to be able to take my metal detector around that area.

Likes Sophia
wolram said:
Yes Shakespeare was born in S-ON-A, he used to visit the local orchards and get drunk, i think he wrote many of his plays under the influence.
How old is the castle Sophia? what is your main product now?
Trying to imagine drunk Shakespeare :-) it is true that alcohol helps the creativity :-p
The castle was built in the 12th century and had been reconstructed several times, last reconstruction was in the 19th century when Duke Palffy tried to remake it to resemble French castles. He did that for a certain lady but she refused him anyway. :-/
Some men are still miners, some people work in services and some work manually for transnational companies in nearby factories. One of them makes cables, other one works with steel.
There's also a settlement of Roma (Gypsy) community and a few people are employed in social services aimed specifically for them.

What is the product of your town?

Likes wolram
Ophiolite said:

That sounds so romantic! Must visit England again and see all the historical sites!

Sophia said:
Trying to imagine drunk Shakespeare :-) it is true that alcohol helps the creativity :-p
The castle was built in the 12th century and had been reconstructed several times, last reconstruction was in the 19th century when Duke Palffy tried to remake it to resemble French castles. He did that for a certain lady but she refused him anyway. :-/
Some men are still miners, some people work in services and some work manually for transnational companies in nearby factories. One of them makes cables, other one works with steel.
There's also a settlement of Roma (Gypsy) community and a few people are employed in social services aimed specifically for them.

What is the product of your town?

You have me thinking now, our local town used to have AP Lockeed, Fords foundry and Flavels factory, but they have all gone now, we seem to have several small places producing all kinds of things, i know a lot of people commute to London, the rest must be white collar workers.

wolram said:
Fords foundry

Been there .

Lots of history, I'm sure: most of it unwritten, unremembered.

Likes Sophia and gracy
My area was founded by a Mr. Kauffman. He came to the US looking for a job. No luck in NYC. No luck in Detroit. En route to Chicago he was shipwrecked on the shores of Lake Huron, where he found employment as a logger. He acquired a large tract of land that no one else wanted. To this day there is little demand.

The original settlers were French. The Erie Canal allowed the United States to displace them and dominate the area.

The 1871 fire that began in Chicago 500 miles away spread over the entire state of Michigan, including nearby areas.

Sophia said:
That sounds so romantic! Must visit England again and see all the historical sites!
I shall forgive you, since you have been so nice. I live in Scotland!

Wolram said:
You have me thinking now, our local town used to have AP Lockeed, Fords foundry and Flavels factory, but they have all gone now
Yes, industrial archaeology is becoming increasingly important. The market town I mentioned in my earlier post housed the engineering works of the Great North of Scotland Railway on a 15 acre site, now occupied by retail outlets and sports facilities.

Likes Sophia and wolram
Ophiolite said:

Yes, industrial archaeology is becoming increasingly important. The market town I mentioned in my earlier post housed the engineering works of the Great North of Scotland Railway on a 15 acre site, now occupied by retail outlets and sports facilities.

Just up the road from me is the site of the cement works, the site is closed down now and all the buildings demolished, the site now is home to two very nice fishing lakes and full of wild flowers, when the site was active a fossil of a sea creature was found i can not remember what it was but it was big.

Likes Sophia
wolram said:
Wow you found a mill stone any arrow heads?
Yes! Quite a few of them. :smile:

Ophiolite said:
Oh, I am grateful indeed, Sir. You are so kind! :bow: :oldbiggrin:

krater said:
Some of my distant family was buried around twenty miles form where I live, over a hundred fifty years ago. They were some of the first to come to this side of the Atlantic from Germany.

Around here, entire towns have a reputation for being haunted. Only the bravest wander around in the woodlands here after nightfall.

Grouse... bull... or chupacabra?!?

I am joining you on my holidays. Wanna join anyone?

Ophiolite said:

You too. We could start WW III!

The city of visakhapatnam was originally founded as a fishing port. It was also a centre of Buddhism, because we have ancient Buddhist sculptures few kilometers away. Other than that we are on our way to make history.

Likes Sophia and wolram
CrazyNinja said:
I am joining you on my holidays. Wanna join anyone?
You too. We could start WW III!

The city of visakhapatnam was originally founded as a fishing port. It was also a centre of Buddhism, because we have ancient Buddhist sculptures few kilometers away. Other than that we are on our way to make history.

Crazy, you must tell us more about where you live, do you have any pictures of the sculptures.

Well, I do not have any particular pictures with me because I haven't visited them. This is because of my inability(due to my studies) in doing so. I could give you a few pics from the net, but I don't believe you would appreciate them.

If you allow me to go a little further from my town, I have many more places here. There are a whole bunch of ancient temples some close to 1000 years old. I have visited them, but pictures are not allowed due to religious reasons. I will share a few of the pics of the exterior (these are from the net too as my cam isn't here)(I feel better sharing these because I have seen them :-p )

1) This one is the 1000 year old temple. Look at those walls. It is maintained well by the authorities.

http://www.ghatroads.in/public/images/temples/Draksharamam/Draksharamam6.jpg

2) THIS one is really famous.

Lord_Varaha_stonecarved_statue_at_Simhachalam_temple.jpg

04raj-stand-one_04_1710102f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes lisab, wolram and 1oldman2
CrazyNinja said:
Well, I do not have any particular pictures with me because I haven't visited them. This is because of my inability(due to my studies) in doing so. I could give you a few pics from the net, but I don't believe you would appreciate them.

If you allow me to go a little further from my town, I have many more places here. There are a whole bunch of ancient temples some close to 1000 years old. I have visited them, but pictures are not allowed due to religious reasons. I will share a few of the pics of the exterior (these are from the net too as my cam isn't here)(I feel better sharing these because I have seen them :-p )

1) This one is the 1000 year old temple. Look at those walls. It is maintained well by the authorities.

http://www.ghatroads.in/public/images/temples/Draksharamam/Draksharamam6.jpg

2) THIS one is really famous.
Very Very cool, It sure seems you have no shortage of "History where you live"

Lord_Varaha_stonecarved_statue_at_Simhachalam_temple.jpg

04raj-stand-one_04_1710102f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CrazyNinja and Sophia
Very Very cool, It seems there is no shortage of "history where you live"
Just noticed some strange spacing on my reply to your post.

Likes CrazyNinja
I live on my wife's native homeland in Montana USA, At least 10,000 years of history here (since the end of the last ice age) only 200 yrs written though.
44234757.jpg
48672375.jpg

Likes wolram and Sophia
I live between Winchester and Southampton, England. There's quite a bit of history around Winchester, including the cathedral. I originally went to school at Winchester College (founded 1382) but that was about 45 years ago, so even that's history now too!

Likes CrazyNinja and 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
There's quite a bit of history around Winchester, including the cathedral.
You must be familiar with the old song 99 tears ?

1oldman2 said:
At least 10,000 years of history here (since the end of the last ice age) only 200 yrs written though

I guess most of us can claim that oldman. :wink:

Tsu said:
Yes! Quite a few of them. :smile:

Any pics of the arrowheads, @Tsu ?

Likes 1oldman2
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Like pretty much any city in North America, the sense of history is somehow much shallower to equivalent in Europe or Asia (I notice this especially since I feel that Toronto as a city doesn't seem to especially care too much about preserving its history). That being said, there are historic sites worth seeing, including my alma mater, the University of Toronto.

Here is a link to the building of One Spadina Crescent (where I used to have an office during my grad studies):

http://www.torontostandard.com/daily-cable-news/university-of-toronto-haunted-house-gets-makeover/

And here is a link to Hart House, University of Toronto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_House_(University_of_Toronto)#/media/File:Harthouse_toronto.jpg

If you want to know more about the history of my city, here is a Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Toronto

Likes wolram and CrazyNinja
StatGuy2000 said:
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Like pretty much any city in North America, the sense of history is somehow much shallower to equivalent in Europe or Asia (I notice this especially since I feel that Toronto as a city doesn't seem to especially care too much about preserving its history). That being said, there are historic sites worth seeing, including my alma mater, the University of Toronto.

Here is a link to the building of One Spadina Crescent (where I used to have an office during my grad studies):

http://www.torontostandard.com/daily-cable-news/university-of-toronto-haunted-house-gets-makeover/

And here is a link to Hart House, University of Toronto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_House_(University_of_Toronto)#/media/File:Harthouse_toronto.jpg

If you want to know more about the history of my city, here is a Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Toronto

Did you see any spooks Stat Guy?