Is there more than one possibility for eigenvectors of a single eigenvalue

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mkerikss
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I guess this is best explained with an example. The matrix (0 -1) has the eigenvalues
------------------------------------------------------------------ (1 0)
i and -i. For -i we obtain ix1-x2=0 and x1+ix2=0. I got a corresponding eigen vector (1 i), but when I controlled this result with wolfram alpha it gave me the vector (-i 1). By inserting these values in the equations both of these give 0, as they should, so my guess is they can both be used as the eigenvector for the eigenvalue -i, but I'm not sure though, as I haven't come across this kind of situation before. If somebody could help it would be most appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that those two vectors are scalar multiples of each other, and eigenvectors are determined up to scalar multiples.
 
Ok, I noticed that now, if i multiply the first one with -i I get the second one and vice versa. Thank you :smile: