1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there physical content in D Branes?

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1

arivero

Gold Member

I am having a hard time to see how/if D Branes are physics, at all.

We are told that it is the modern notation for Chan Paton charges. But then Marcus and Sagnotti, in the unique paper I have found on the topic, seem to think different

Reference
    Group Theory from Quarks at the Ends of Strings.
    Neil Marcus (UC, Berkeley & LBL, Berkeley) , Augusto Sagnotti (Rome U.,Tor Vergata & INFN, Rome) . UCB-PTH-86/27, LBL-22076, ROM2F-86/015, Oct 1986. 10pp.
    Published in Phys.Lett.B188:58,1987.

Is there any good work relating D-branes to "charges at the end of strings"?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you specifically interested in string theory as applied to a theory of QCD or string theory in general (as a theory of everything)?

The need for branes in superstring theory goes beyond the introduction of gauge indices. I think that what Polchinski showed was that branes are required as elementary constituents in addition to strings. Introducing Chan-Paton factors at the end of open strings which end on branes can be done in order to introduce gauge groups but as far as I know, branes do not require Chan Paton factors (I mightbe wrong).

In any case, have you look at Zwiebach? He gives a nice introduction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?