1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is there such thing as magnetic interference?

Tags:
  1. Aug 21, 2016 #1
    Say I place a magnet on a table, and I have a metal in close proximity. Will its magnetic field change due to the presence of this metal, however minute?

What if I had another magnet or the table itself is made of materials the magnet is slightly attracted to? Does this phenomenon even exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, if you put a magnet close to a material the before randomly oriented dipole moments of the electrons inside the material are (partially) ordered, which provides additional contributions to the magnetic field imposed. That's quite analogous to the electric field where the electric dipole moments are also ordered (and/or, if you have a conductor the charge distribution of the medium changes due to the electric force imposed by the imposed electric field).

4. Aug 21, 2016 #3
    Thanks! My limited googling just yielded electromagnetic interference. Do you have any more information about playing magnetic interference?

5. Aug 21, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted