Is there such thing as rest mass.

In summary, you are saying that if an object has momentum or acceleration, part of its mass can be attributed to it's spin.
Simon43254
Is there actually a superfluous reason for rest mass. I only ask because clearly as far as I know, all particles have spin, and I am led, (possibly falsly) to assume that so do things such as photons (although we know photons don't have rest mass anyway). Thus if "everything" has spin, (lets just leave this as nucleons for now) then it has an acceleration, and therefore isn't at rest at all even without it accelerating by defintion. So is it therefore conceivable to suggest this notion of what we describe as rest mass is either nonsensicle or perhaps false convention if it existed as terminology before spin was introduced to our knowledge??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are misinterpreting "spin". That is a quantum physics concept that does NOT mean the particle is actually "spinning" like a top. You also seem to be misinterpreting "rest". There is always some coordinate system in which a body is at rest.

yes but what i mean is that spin refers to its angular momentum. Like how a gyroscope works. so clearly if it has any momentum or acceleration then it's total mass or atleast part of its mass can be said to be due to it's spin. So how can say a proton have a quoted rest mass if it's not strictly speaking at rest. Or is it my defintion of at rest that is the problem?

Simon Malzard said:
so clearly if it has any momentum or acceleration then it's total mass or atleast part of its mass can be said to be due to it's spin.

Why do you say this?

The best way I can explain why I think this is by using an example. An electron has a finite, set, rest mass. Using Einsteins theory, as that electron approaches the speed of light, its mass increases. Thus a certain amount of its mass is due to the velocity it is traveling at. Now an object that has angular momentum, you can say has a tangential velocity, and therefore a centripetal acceleration, indicating that it's spin has contributed to if you like it's mass.

By the way, this was just a question, I don't know if I have any of this right or if I have gained a wrong definition of something along the way. If I'm going far out in the wrong direction please let me know where I am going wrong.

1. What is rest mass?

Rest mass is the mass of an object as measured by an observer in a frame of reference where the object is at rest. It is a fundamental property of matter and is often referred to as "invariant mass" or "rest energy."

2. How is rest mass different from other types of mass?

Rest mass is different from other types of mass, such as relativistic mass, because it is independent of an object's velocity. Relativistic mass increases as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, while rest mass remains constant.

3. Is rest mass the same as gravitational mass?

Rest mass and gravitational mass are equivalent and are both used to measure the amount of matter in an object. However, gravitational mass is a measure of the object's response to gravity, while rest mass is a measure of its intrinsic mass.

4. Can an object have a negative rest mass?

No, an object cannot have a negative rest mass. Rest mass is always positive and is a fundamental property of matter. It is not possible for an object to have "negative matter" or a negative amount of mass.

5. How is rest mass related to energy?

Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², demonstrates the relationship between rest mass and energy. Rest mass can be converted into energy and vice versa, with the speed of light serving as a conversion factor. This is why rest mass is often referred to as "rest energy."