Is this a correct solution ? to ax'' = 0

• Thread starter Cypeq
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed solving the equation ax^{''} = 0 and arrived at the solution x(t) = c_{1} + c_{2}t. This was achieved by using the characteristic equation and integrating the resulting constant value. The accuracy of the result was also confirmed.
Cypeq
[itex]ax^{''} = 0[/itex]

characteristic eqation
[itex]ar^{2} = 0[/itex]

[itex]r_{1,2} = 0[/itex]

since we have double result

[itex]x(t) = c_{1}e^{0t} + c_{2}t e^{0t}[/itex]

so [tex] e^0 = 1 [/tex]

[tex]x(t) = c_{1} + c_{2}t[/tex]

is this a correct result :S ? I'm learning integration by myself and I'm not shure about this case it's not cover in my book if results can be zero or it doesn't matter :S ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct. The simpler way to see that is to first divide by a to get just x"= 0. That is the same as saying d(x')/dt= 0 so x' is a constant: x'(t)= c2. Now integrate that: the integral of a constant, c1 is, of course, x(t)= c2t+ c1.

(I'm surprised you would know about "characteristic equations" for linear differential equations with constant coefficients if you are just learning integration!)

1. What is the equation "ax'' = 0" trying to solve?

The equation "ax'' = 0" is trying to solve for the values of x that make the second derivative of ax equal to zero. This can also be written as ax'' = d²x/dt² = 0, where t represents time.

2. Is "ax'' = 0" a correct solution for any value of x?

Yes, "ax'' = 0" is a correct solution for any value of x. This is because the second derivative of a constant value is always equal to zero.

3. What does the "a" in the equation "ax'' = 0" stand for?

The "a" in the equation "ax'' = 0" represents a constant coefficient or a scaling factor. It can be any real number.

4. Can you provide an example of when "ax'' = 0" would be a useful solution?

"ax'' = 0" can be a useful solution in physics when studying systems with constant acceleration. For example, a ball being thrown up in the air and returning to the ground experiences a constant acceleration of gravity, therefore its second derivative would be equal to zero.

5. How can you determine if "ax'' = 0" is a unique solution?

"ax'' = 0" is not a unique solution, as there are infinitely many values of x that will satisfy this equation. In order to determine a unique solution, additional constraints or initial conditions would need to be provided.