RL circuit with polynomial forcing function solution (units)

In summary, the given differential equation has a voltage source with units of V/s, and the units of the equation need to be adjusted to match this. By multiplying the equation by a constant of 1 V/s^2, the units are corrected and the complete solution can be found. The final solution has units of amperes, as expected.
K Murty
Hello.
This is the differential equation.

$$
i \cdot \dfrac{R}{L} + \dfrac{di}{dt} = t
$$
My solution path:
Homogenous solution:
$$
r + \dfrac{R}{L} = 0 \\ \\

r = -\dfrac{R}{L} \\ \\

i_{h}(t) = C_{0} e^{ -\dfrac{R}{L} t} \\ \\ $$

Particular solution:

Try $$ y_{p} = at + b \\ \\

y_{p} \dfrac{R }{L } + y_{p}' = t \\ \\

(at + b) \dfrac{R}{L} + a = t \\ \\

at\dfrac{R}{L} = t \\ \\

b \dfrac{R}{L} + a = 0 \\ \\

a = \dfrac{L}{R} \\ \\

b = - \dfrac{ L^2}{R^2} \\ \\ $$

Verifying particular solution:

$$ y_{p} = \dfrac{L}{R} \cdot ( t - \dfrac{L}{R} ) \\ \\

y_{p}' = \dfrac{L}{R} \\ \\

y_{p} \dfrac{R}{L} + y_{p}= t \\ \\

\dfrac{L}{R} \cdot ( t - \dfrac{L}{R} ) \cdot \dfrac{R}{L} + \dfrac{L}{R} = t \\ \\

t - \dfrac{L}{R} + \dfrac{L}{R} = t $$
Boundary conditions given:
$$
\boxed{I(0) = 0 } \text{inital conditions} \\ \\

0 = C_{0} - \dfrac{L^2}{R^2} \\ \\

C_{0} = \dfrac{L^2}{R^2} \\ \\

I(t) = \dfrac{L^2}{R^2} e^{ -\frac{R}{L} t} + \dfrac{ L}{ R} ( t - \dfrac{ L}{ R}) \\ \\

\boxed{i(t) = \dfrac{L^2}{R^2} \cdot e^{( -\frac{R}{L} t)} + \left( \dfrac{ L}{ R}( t - \dfrac{ L}{ R}) \right) \,\,\,\, (\text{A} ) } \,\,\,\, \text{Complete solution} $$
My question is, despite the complete solution fitting the boundary conditions, the units must be amperes, and I don't think the units are amperes. How can i get a solution with the correct units? My solution path seems correct to me as t is a first order polynomial.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with the units is right from the start of the ODE

##I\frac{R}{L}+\frac{dI}{dt}=t## (1)

because the left hand side of (1) has units of ##\frac{A}{s}## while the right hand side has units of just ##s## (seconds). So to fix this you must multiply only the right hand side by a constant C which will be just 1 but will have units of ##\frac{A}{s^2}## so ##C=1\frac{A}{s^2}## so the differential equation will be

##I\frac{R}{L}+\frac{dI}{dt}=Ct##(2) and now the units in both sides of (2) are ##\frac{A}{s}##.

(or alternatively you can multiply only the left hand side of (1) by a constant D such that ##D=1\frac{s^2}{A}##.

Your final complete solution will not change at all as number, because it will be just multiplied by C which is just 1, but it will change as units and it will be amperes. (##\frac{A}{s^2}s^2=A## now as it is, the units are ##s^2##).

Likes K Murty
Delta² said:
The problem with the units is right from the start of the ODE

##I\frac{R}{L}+\frac{dI}{dt}=t## (1)

because the left hand side of (1) has units of ##\frac{A}{s}## while the right hand side has units of just ##s## (seconds). So to fix this you must multiply only the right hand side by a constant C which will be just 1 but will have units of ##\frac{A}{s^2}## so ##C=1\frac{A}{s^2}## so the differential equation will be

##I\frac{R}{L}+\frac{dI}{dt}=Ct##(2) and now the units in both sides of (2) are ##\frac{A}{s}##.

(or alternatively you can multiply only the left hand side of (1) by a constant D such that ##D=1\frac{s^2}{A}##.

Your final complete solution will not change at all as number, because it will be just multiplied by C which is just 1, but it will change as units and it will be amperes. (##\frac{A}{s^2}s^2=A## now as it is, the units are ##s^2##).
I made a mistake in my solution.
The initial DE ACTUALLY given was:
$$
iR + L\dfrac{di}{dt} = t
$$
Multiplying the DE by $$ \dfrac{1}{L}$$
Gives:
$$ i \dfrac{R}{L} + \dfrac{di}{dt} = \dfrac{t}{L} $$
I hurried the solution and forgot to multiply the source term by $$ \dfrac{1}{L} $$
But even without multiplying the entire equation, the initial units are:
$$ V = s $$
Which is wrong. So I think this question means that there is a voltage source which is outputs the voltage equal to the duration of time.
My apologies, the person who gave it to me to solve was not clear about it.

Likes Delta2
i will assume $$ t \,\, (V) $$ and solve it again for the source term as $$ \dfrac{t}{L} \,\, \frac{V}{H} $$

Likes Delta2
Yes the initial DE has to be ##iR+L\frac{di}{dt}=V_0t## where ##V_0=1\frac{V}{s}##

Likes K Murty
Delta² said:
Yes the initial DE has to be ##iR+L\frac{di}{dt}=V_0t## where ##V_0=1\frac{V}{s}##
Yes. Here is the solution that was realized through your insight:
$$
V_{0} = \frac{{V} }{ s} \\ \\
i\dfrac{R}{L} + \dfrac{di}{dt} = \dfrac{ V_{0} t}{L} \\
\dfrac{R}{L} + r = 0 \\
r = - \dfrac{R}{L} $$

$$ i_{h}(t) = C_{0} e^{(- \dfrac{R}{L} t )} \\

\text{Particular solution:}$$

$$ i_{p}(t) = at + b $$

$$ (at + b ) \dfrac{R}{L} + a = \dfrac{V_{0}t}{L} $$

$$ at \frac{R}{L} + (a + b) = \dfrac{V_{0}t}{L} $$

$$ at \frac{R}{L} = \dfrac{V_{0}t}{L} $$

$$ \boxed{ a = \dfrac{ V_{0} }{ {R} } } \tag{a}$$

$$ \dfrac{V_{0} }{ {R} } + b \frac{R}{L} = 0 $$

$$ \boxed{ b = - \dfrac{ V_{0} L}{ {R^2} } } \tag{b} $$

$$ i(t) = C_{0} e^{(- \frac{R}{L} t )} + (\dfrac{ V_{0} }{ {R} } t + - \dfrac{ V_{0} L}{ {R^2} } ) \tag{} $$

$$ \text{Initial values to solve for constants}$$

$$ i(0) = 0 \\ \\

0 = C_{0} - \dfrac{ V_{0} L}{ {R^2} } \\ \\

C_{0} = \dfrac{ V_{0} L}{ {R^2} } \\ \\

{ i(t) = \frac{ V_{0} L }{ {R^2} }e^{(- \frac{R}{L} t )} +\dfrac{ V_{0} }{ R } t - \dfrac{ V_{0} L}{ {R^2} } } \\ \\ $$

$$ \boxed{ i(t) = \dfrac{ V_{0} L}{ {R^2} } (e^{(- \frac{R}{L} t )} - 1 ) +\dfrac{ V_{0} }{ R } t } \tag{Complete}
$$
The units work out now:
$$ \frac{ \frac{V}{s} \cdot H }{\Omega^2} + \frac{ \frac{V}{s} \cdot s}{\Omega} = A \\
\frac{V F }{ s} + \frac{V}{\Omega} = A \\
(\frac{ V}{ s} \frac{Q}{V} = \frac{Q}{s}=A) + A = A
$$
Thank you.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
I just checked the units of the complete solution,the first term is ##\frac{V}{s Ohm}\frac{H}{Ohm}=\frac{A}{s}s=A## and the second term
##\frac{V}{s}\frac{s}{Ohm}=\frac{V}{Ohm}=A## so everything looks fine.

Likes K Murty

1. What is an RL circuit with polynomial forcing function solution?

An RL circuit with polynomial forcing function solution is a type of circuit that includes a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. The circuit is driven by a polynomial function, which is a mathematical function that involves variables raised to different powers. The solution of this type of circuit involves finding the current and voltage as a function of time.

2. What units are used in the solution of an RL circuit with polynomial forcing function?

The units used in the solution of an RL circuit with polynomial forcing function depend on the specific variables involved. The unit for resistance (R) is typically measured in ohms (Ω), while the unit for inductance (L) is measured in henrys (H). The unit for current (I) is measured in amperes (A), and the unit for voltage (V) is measured in volts (V).

3. What is the difference between a forcing function and a polynomial forcing function in an RL circuit?

A forcing function in an RL circuit is a function that drives the current in the circuit, while a polynomial forcing function is a specific type of forcing function that involves polynomial terms. In other words, a polynomial forcing function is a more specific type of forcing function that follows a polynomial pattern.

4. How is the solution of an RL circuit with polynomial forcing function calculated?

The solution of an RL circuit with polynomial forcing function is calculated using mathematical equations that involve the values of resistance, inductance, and the polynomial function. These equations are typically solved using techniques such as substitution, integration, and differentiation.

5. What are some real-life applications of RL circuits with polynomial forcing function solutions?

RL circuits with polynomial forcing function solutions have various real-life applications, including in electronic circuits, power systems, and communication systems. They are also commonly used in the modeling and analysis of electromagnetic devices, such as motors and generators. Additionally, these circuits are used in research and development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources and electric vehicles.