Is this a good analogy to quantum entanglement?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's confusion with quantum entanglement and an analogy that compares it to two dice in separate containers. The analogy suggests that the dice are entangled and shaking one will also affect the other, but once the container is opened, the entanglement is broken. While this analogy is not a perfect representation of quantum entanglement, it provides a clearer explanation of the concept.
Runner 1
[Sorry for asking so many questions by the way, but I enjoy learning ;) ]

I've always been kind of confused with quantum entanglement, and what it means experimentally, but I just read something that someone posted on another website:

You know, it's like if I had a pair of dice in two soundproof containers, one I would send to you, the other one I would keep. These dice are quantum entangled, so whenever I shake mine yours is shaken too, and the sum of both values is always 7, until one of us opens the box, then no shaking is possible anymore.

So I can shake to my heart's desire, the only thing you can find out by opening the box is that you have 2 and I have 5, or you have 4 and I have 3, but that does not really help either of us, because all you know is what random number I am going to see when I open the box. You can use this to say "when mine says 3 and yours 4 we'll meet and have a beer" but that information must be transferred beforehand, so no actual information transfer takes place. You just know what my dice says, but in reality you actually know what 7 minus your dice says.

Is this an accurate analogy to the situation with quantum entanglement? If so, this is probably the clearest explanation of it I've seen yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Runner 1 said:
Is this an accurate analogy to the situation with quantum entanglement? If so, this is probably the clearest explanation of it I've seen yet.
It's not a bad analogy, but it isn't the same thing as quantum entanglement. For one thing, any time you look at your die, the entanglement with the other die is broken for any future "shakes" or your die. But that can sort of be fixed by just shaking it once, without first looking at it-- as long as you don't take the analogy too seriously (shaking a real die would decohere any of its entanglements). It's just pretty hard to get a perfect analogy without it being the genuine article, so as analogies go, that one seems not too bad.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. Can you give an example of quantum entanglement?

One example of quantum entanglement is the spin of two entangled particles. If one particle has an "up" spin, the other particle will have a "down" spin, regardless of the distance between them.

3. How is quantum entanglement different from classical entanglement?

In classical entanglement, two particles are connected in a predictable way, whereas in quantum entanglement, the connection between particles is probabilistic and can only be described through quantum mechanics.

4. Is quantum entanglement useful for anything?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also helps us better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How is quantum entanglement related to the concept of superposition?

Quantum entanglement is closely related to the concept of superposition, where a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. In quantum entanglement, the particles exist in a superposition of states that are correlated with each other.