1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this expression infinitesimal, finite, or infinite

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say x is an infinitesimal number on the hyperreal line, is this expression finite, infinite or infinitesimal

2. Relevant equations
    (sqrt(4+x)-2)/x

3. The attempt at a solution

My approach so far has been that sqrt(4+x) is (2+y) where y is another infinitesimal and y<x, which seems to lead to the conclusion that this expression is infinite, but the answers say it's finite. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##\sqrt{4+x}=2+y##, where y is infinitesimal, you expression becomes ##\frac{y}{x}##. The quotient of two infinitesimals can be anything: infinitesimal, finite but not infinitesimal, or infinite. Your conclusion is therefore premature (and wrong according to your book).

What happens when you muliply both numerator and denominator by ##\sqrt{4+x}+2##?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{4+x}+2}## which is finite. Got it thanks.

You also taught me how to use the maths notation system on the site. Thanks! (You can see I was a noob before)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted