Is this proof valid? (e is irrational)

In summary: I choosing a value for n that is larger than the maximum value of b and 3?And finally, why is it necessary to prove in this context that b(n!) > 0 ?The notation in the source you found is different. Rn is the sum from 0 to n, not the sum from n+1 to infinity.If 0 < Rn < ##\frac{3}{(n+1)!}##, then Rn<3. So you have to prove Rn is positive and less than 3.Choose n > max(b,3) means: Choose n such that n is larger than both b and 3.
Calu
Is this proof that e is an irrational number valid?

e = ∑[itex]^{∞}_{n=0}[/itex] 1/n! = 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ... + 1/n! +...

Let e = a + b where

a = Sn = 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ... + 1/n!

b= 1/(n+1)! + 1/(n+2)! + 1/(n+3)! +...

Multiply both sides by (n!) giving e(n!) = a(n!) + b(n!)

For proof by contradiction, take e to be an integer, such that e = m/n where m and n are both positive integers and in their lowest terms.

We can take n to be a positive integer and as such, n! is a positive integer.

a(n!) = (1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ... + 1/n!)(n!) = (n! + n!/1! + n!/2! + n!/3! + ... + n!/n!)

We can see a(n!) is positive integer as n > 1,2,3 ... ,n-1,n and as such each fraction in the parentheses will cancel down to produce a positive integer. The sum of positive integers is yet another positive integer.

We can note that according to our equation, e = a + b, b is simpy the difference of two positive integers, which in turn is a positive integer.

However, it can be shown that b(n!) is not a positive integer:

b(n!) = [1/(n+1)! + 1/(n+2)! + 1/(n+3)! +...](n!) = [n!/(n+1)! + n!/(n+2)! + n!/(n+3)! +...]
= 1/(n+1) + 1/(n+1)(n+2) + 1/(n+1)(n+2)(n+3) + ...

We know n is a positive integer ∴ n ≥ 1, n+1 ≥ 2, n+2 > 2, n+3 >2.

So we have:

b(n!) < 1/2 + 1/22 + 1/23 +...

b(n!) < a/1-r
b(n!) < 0.5/0.5
b(n!) < 1

We know b(n!) > 0 as e - a ≠ 0
∴ 0 < b(n!) < 1 which means b(n!) cannot be an integer and contradicts the statement above, that b(n!) is the difference of two integers.

Therefore e must be irrational.

This was how it was taught to me, but I don't feel confident on the proof. I haven't proven that b is irrational, which would tell me that e is irrational, as e would become the summation of a rational and an irrational number multiplied by n!, where n! is an integer and a rational number. Can someone tell me if the proof is valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
The order and some steps are a bit messy, but the general idea is valid.

I haven't proven that b is irrational
That follows from the proof, but you don't need it for the contradiction.

Last edited:
mfb said:
The order and some steps are a bit messy, but the general idea is valid.

That follows from the proof, but you don't need for the contradiction.

Ahh, okay, I see. Thank you very much for the confirmation. Anything I can do to tidy it up a bit?

- don't use n for two different things (as index in the sum and as denominator for e afterwards)
- start with the assumption e=m/n, otherwise your split e=a+b is not well-defined (where are we supposed to do it?)
We can see a(n!) is positive integer as n > 1,2,3 ... ,n-1,n
n>n?

We can note that according to our equation, e = a + b, b is simpy the difference of two positive integers, which in turn is a positive integer.
You cannot tell "positive" from the difference, the difference of two positive integers can be negative. "Integer" is sufficient here, you can show b>0 afterwards.

b(n!) < a/1-r
"a" was used for something else before, "a" and "r" are not introduced and the denominator needs brackets (or a proper fraction: ##\frac{a}{1-r}##).
We know b(n!) > 0 as e - a ≠ 0
The first part does not follow from the second part.

Likes 1 person
- don't use n for two different things (as index in the sum and as denominator for e afterwards)
- start with the assumption e=m/n, otherwise your split e=a+b is not well-defined (where are we supposed to do it?)

If I start with the assumption e=##\frac{p}{q}## can I state that p,q must either both be positive or both be negative?

I'll start with my assumption in the future.
n>n?

This was meant to be ≥, apologies.

You cannot tell "positive" from the difference, the difference of two positive integers can be negative. "Integer" is sufficient here, you can show b>0 afterwards.

That's the same thought I had.

"a" was used for something else before, "a" and "r" are not introduced and the denominator needs brackets (or a proper fraction: ##\frac{a}{1-r}##).

How do I create a proper fraction? I couldn't find it in the list of symbols.

The first part does not follow from the second part.

Would b(n!) > 0 as e(n!) - a(n!) ≠ 0 be correct?

Dividing by (n!):

b > 0 as e - a ≠ 0
Thanks for the help.

Calu said:
If I start with the assumption e=##\frac{p}{q}## can I state that p,q must either both be positive or both be negative?
You can even assume p and q to be positive, as you know e is positive (or if you don't know this, it is easy to see based on the sum), but it does not matter as long as q is positive and that is always possible.

How do I create a proper fraction? I couldn't find it in the list of symbols.
This forum supports LaTeX.

Would b(n!) > 0 as e(n!) - a(n!) ≠ 0 be correct?
Is -4.3(n!) > 0 because 2.7(n!) - 7(n!) ≠ 0?

mfb said:
You can even assume p and q to be positive, as you know e is positive (or if you don't know this, it is easy to see based on the sum), but it does not matter as long as q is positive and that is always possible.

This forum supports LaTeX.

Is -4.3(n!) > 0 because 2.7(n!) - 7(n!) ≠ 0?

No. In what way do we know b > 0?

Also I found a much more concise explanation here: http://cazelais.disted.camosun.bc.ca/250/e-irrational.pdf. However some of the notation is confusing me. I believe Rn is the value I have labelled b in my original post, but I'm unsure as to why it takes a value such that 0 < Rn < ##\frac{3}{(n+1)!}##

And I'm also unsure what "Choose n > max(b,3)" means.

Last edited:
Calu said:
No. In what way do we know b > 0?
In the same we can know a>0: it is a sum of positive numbers.

but I'm unsure as to why it takes a value such that 0 < Rn < ##\frac{3}{(n+1)!}##
You can get this in the same way you found 1/n! as upper limit - it is just a bit more general as it covers the case n=0 (which is not needed afterwards).

And I'm also unsure what "Choose n > max(b,3)" means.
n is chosen to be larger than b, and at least 4.

What is the definition of a valid proof?

A valid proof is a logical and convincing argument that uses evidence and reasoning to support a claim or conclusion. It must follow a set of established rules and principles of logic to be considered sound.

What makes a proof valid?

A valid proof must have a clear and well-defined statement of the claim or conclusion, a logical sequence of steps or arguments that lead to the conclusion, and evidence or reasoning that supports each step. It must also follow the rules of logic, such as avoiding circular reasoning and using valid deductive or inductive reasoning.

How can I determine if a proof is valid?

To determine if a proof is valid, you can analyze the structure and logic of the argument. Look for any flaws or errors in the reasoning, and check if the evidence used is relevant and reliable. You can also consult with experts in the field or refer to established mathematical principles and rules.

What are some common mistakes in proofs?

Some common mistakes in proofs include using circular reasoning, making logical fallacies, or assuming that the conclusion is true without sufficient evidence. Other mistakes may include incorrect use of mathematical operations or not considering all possible scenarios.

Why is it important to validate a proof?

Validating a proof is important because it ensures that the argument or claim being made is supported by evidence and follows logical reasoning. It helps to prevent errors or mistakes that could lead to incorrect conclusions and allows for the advancement of knowledge and understanding in the scientific community.