Is this the beginning of the end for HIV

• Medical
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginning
In summary, the article discusses a study that shows promising results in controlling HIV by using antibodies to attack the virus. The study found that after multiple rounds of escaping the antibodies, the virus eventually runs out of options and is unable to continue its evolution. This approach, however, does not eliminate the virus from the body, but rather suppresses its replication. While this discovery provides an alternative option for those who may develop resistance to current therapies, it does not bring us closer to a cure. Additionally, the effectiveness of this approach may vary depending on the individual's immune system and the match of antibodies from another person's body.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170125214617.htm

This seems to be a very good start to controlling HIV I am no doctor but this research seems encouraging."What we've shown in this study is that after several rounds of escape from these particular antibodies, the virus seems to run out of options," she adds. "In this particular case, HIV eventually loses this arms race.

Biology news on Phys.org
They got the promising sample from a patient living with HIV for at least 30 years. He is still living, yes, but he has carried around the virus the whole time.

Even if that approach is transferable to other humans (which is completely unclear), it doesn't look like an approach to get rid of HIV. It would be a better way to stop the evolution to AIDS.

Seems like the approach can only suppress viral replication but not eliminate it from the body (which would be required for a cure). Current combination therapies (HAART) already do a good job of suppressing viral replication and are much easier and cheaper to manufacture than antibodies. It's nice to have options in case drug resistance arises to current therapies, but the discovery does not really move us closer to a cure.

Thank you for your replies:biggrin:

Likes mfb
I think the subject can react because has good amount of leucosit and mentioned in the site the "elite controllers" but then its sound like we can resist the HIV 100% but i think its not 100%. If it came from another human body will it match our body? Cause our body is different one to another. Its more like vaccine i think.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Above its just my opinion

1. What is HIV?

HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is a virus that attacks the immune system, specifically the CD4 cells, which are responsible for fighting off infections and diseases. If left untreated, HIV can progress to AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome).

2. Is there a cure for HIV?

Currently, there is no cure for HIV. However, with proper treatment and medication, people living with HIV can lead long and healthy lives. Scientists and researchers are constantly working towards finding a cure for HIV.

3. How does HIV spread?

HIV is primarily spread through unprotected sexual contact with an infected person, sharing needles or syringes, and from mother to child during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding. It is not spread through casual contact such as hugging or shaking hands.

4. How effective is treatment for HIV?

Treatment for HIV, also known as antiretroviral therapy (ART), can be highly effective in managing the virus. When taken consistently and as prescribed, ART can suppress the virus to undetectable levels in the blood, making it nearly impossible to transmit to others.

5. Is this the beginning of the end for HIV?

While there have been significant advancements in the treatment and prevention of HIV, it is still a major global health issue. The number of new HIV infections is declining, but there is still a long way to go before we can say it is the end of HIV. Continued research and efforts towards prevention and treatment are crucial in the fight against HIV.