Is Thorton/Marion a Good Starting Point for Self-Studying Mechanics?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter tronter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
tronter
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
I want to study mechanics but have never taken a physics course (in college). I flipped through this Thorton/Marion, and it seems pretty easy to follow. Could I start out here for studying mechanics, as opposed to starting out on the traditional texts ("Halliday/Resncick")?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are currently doing a maths degree but want a bit of dynamics?
If you are fine with the maths then I imagine Marion would be a good place to start, but the problem could well arise that you are fine at piecing together problems using maths but do this without really being aware of the physics or thinking about the physics when you are learning the stuff.
A textbook that is a bit more fluffy but covers a good deal of content is Kleppner & Kolenkow's 'An Introduction to Mechanics', it puts the emphasis on a physics outlook.

In fact i wish i'd bought K&K about 2 years ago and started it before i even came to university, i think it's about the best introduction..