Is time a true variable in the scheme of things?

In summary: Earth. However, each clock has experienced one second per second. The clock on Earth has experienced 60 seconds and the other clock has experienced something like 60.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time passing at different rates depending on various factors such as motion and gravity. While it is possible to slow down time, there is no known way to significantly speed it up without causing any physical differences. The idea of changing the speed of time for a clock is also explored, with the conclusion that it is
jbriggs444 said:
The one where I was first introduced to the notion of curved space was "Sphereland", I think. Possibly the same one that you are alluding to.
The one I read was a short non-fiction about thought provoking mathematical concepts. I'll have to dig it up. I really love it I can't believe I forget the name.

I'm definitely going to have to check out Sphereland now. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
I think that those of you who are insisting that things in freefall in space follow curved lines are making the mistake of applying Euclidean Geometry in a domain where it is not relevant. Yes, in Euclidean Geometry those paths ARE curved, but so what? That is utterly irrelevant because the geometry of spacetime is not Euclidean, it is pseudo-Riemannian and in that geometry the paths are geodesics, which as has already been pointed out are considered by many to be a logical generalization of "straight line".
I thought a geodesic was a vector under the effects of a motile reference frame; in the same way that Silly Puddy stretches and droops twards the Earth's center of mass, acceleration in the (SO)3 is modified by the expansion rate of space-time, effectively creating more distance the vector must traverse, the expression of which is quadrilateral movement through orthogonal space.

• Skeptical
Likes cyboman and etotheipi
Eric Boudreau said:
I thought a geodesic was a vector under the effects of a motile reference frame; in the same way that Silly Puddy stretches and droops twards the Earth's center of mass, acceleration in the (SO)3 is modified by the expansion rate of space-time, effectively creating more distance the vector must traverse, the expression of which is quadrilateral movement through orthogonal space.
Ahhhhh, did you study math? Cause that's over my padawan math kung fu.

Likes Delta2