1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is UIC a good school for Physics?

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    I'm thinking about transferring to UIC's Physics Program, but I would like to know if that is a good school for Physics. I mean University of Illinois at Chicago. By the way, I'm a she.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2

rbj

you mean UIUC? Champagne-Urbana?

top-notch school. hard to get into. not gonna be no cakewalk.

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I suspect he means U of Illinois at Chicago, but he'd better clarify.

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The only UIC that I know of is what jtbell mentioned - The University of Illinois at Chicago.

They have a very good condensed matter and high energy physics program. They benefit from being close to Argonne and Fermilab, and also the UW's synchrotron center. Juan Carlos Campuzano, who has a joint appointment with Argonne, has established a very respected photoemission group there.

Zz.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5
    I'm actually attending UIC and doing summer research with one of the Physics professor's groups. I think it's a decent place for Physics relative to some places you could go.

7. Jun 6, 2012 #6
    Don't really know how relevant it is to the Physics program, or how prestigious it is but this is an email the Chancellor sent out on UIC's ranking in the world's best young universities published by Times Higher Education of the U.K.

"I am happy to inform you that the University of Illinois at Chicago is ranked 11th on a list of the world's best young universities published by Times Higher Education of the U.K.

This ranking is particularly gratifying because it is based on meaningful objective criteria.

The list, the first Times Higher Education "100 Under 50," uses the same 13 performance indicators as the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, but with a reduced weighting for subjective indicators of academic reputation. The objective performance factors include research volume, research influence, teaching and learning, international outlook, and industry innovation and income.

According to Phil Baty, editor of the rankings, "The innovative Times Higher Education 100 Under 50 is not about the old institutions that dominate the traditional rankings; it is about a new breed of global universities -- those that have managed to join the world's top table in just decades rather than centuries, and others showing great promise for the future. The new ranking gives us a glimpse of the future, hinting at who the future Harvard and Cambridge universities may be."

UIC was ranked third among U.S. institutions on the 100 Under 50 list, behind the University of California campuses at Irvine (4) and Santa Cruz (7). Nine U.S. institutions made the list of 100.

I hope you share in my pride for this latest recognition of the strength and vitality of our campus. In its relatively short lifetime, UIC has not only earned its place among the world's leading institutions of higher learning, but has established a rich history of service to the city and the state."

So that's a thing I suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook