Is Uniform Circular Motion Considered Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a body in uniform circular motion is in equilibrium. It is concluded that the body is not in equilibrium because there is a force acting on it (the centripetal force) and the net force is not equal to zero, but rather equal to the centripetal force. This is due to the fact that the body must have centripetal acceleration, as determined by the geometry of circular motion.
m.medhat

Homework Statement

if a body is in a uniform circular motion . is it in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is not in equilibrium ... please i want the true solution .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi m.medhat! :smile:
m.medhat said:
if a body is in a uniform circular motion . is it in equilibrium?

When you say "a body is in a uniform circular motion", do you mean like a bar rotating about its centre, or do you mean like a planet rotating around a star? :confused:

Is the object's rotational motion changing with time? If not it is in equilibrium, for an object to be in "mechanical" equilibrium the net torque acting on the object must be zero.

i know that a body in equilibrium , the net force acting on it must be zero .
but for the body in uniform circular motion , there is a force acting on it , it is the centripetal force , and the net force here -as i think- not equal zero but equal to centripetal force .
i still need help please .

m.medhat said:
i know that a body in equilibrium , the net force acting on it must be zero .
but for the body in uniform circular motion , there is a force acting on it , it is the centripetal force , and the net force here -as i think- not equal zero but equal to centripetal force .

Yes, that's exactly correct :smile:

a body moving with constant angular velocity round a circle (ie not simply rotating on its own centre of mass) is not in equilibrium …

F = ma for that body shows, on the left, the gravitational force or the tension or whatever is forcing it towards the centre, and on the right, (mass times) the centripetal acceleration.

(The left is physics, the right is just geometry … a body moving round a circle must have centripetal acceleration, because the geometry says so. :wink:)

Because of F = ma, since (for constant angular velocity) the acceleration is centripetal, that means that the net force must be centripetal also. :smile:

then this means that the body moving with a uniform circular motion is not in equilibrium , isn't it ?

many thanks for answer .

Related to Is Uniform Circular Motion Considered Equilibrium?

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes at different points along the circular path.

What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, keeping an object in circular motion. It is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass of the object, the square of the velocity, and the radius of the circle. This means that as any of these factors increase, the centripetal force also increases, resulting in a faster circular motion.

What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include the motion of a Ferris wheel, the rotation of the Earth around the Sun, and the swinging of a pendulum. Circular motion is also observed in sports like ice skating and gymnastics.