Is using melatonin to help fall asleep safe?

• Medical
  • Thread starter pa5tabear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, melatonin is a commonly used supplement for promoting sleep. It is generally considered safe, with the main side effect being more vivid dreams. However, it is important to consult with a doctor before taking it, as the correct dosage depends on the intended use and it is generally recommended for short-term use only. Additionally, taking it at the wrong time can disrupt sleep. There are also some concerns about potential long-term effects and it is advised to avoid taking it unless necessary. As always, consult with a doctor before taking any over-the-counter medication.
pa5tabear
My mom got some and I'm wondering if it's safe to use. Is it actually effective? And are there any other issues associated with it?

Biology news on Phys.org
I've used melatonin for quite a few years, 500 mcg tablets, one or at most two, to promote sleep. I find it effective, and without problems.

I'm unaware of any safety issues associated with its use, although you will have slightly more, shall we say, "lurid" dreams. :)

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Please be careful when self medicating. Always see your doctor before you decide to use over the counter medications.

If you're considering taking melatonin supplements, check with your doctor first — especially if you have any health conditions. The correct dose depends on the intended use. For example, circadian rhythm sleep disorders are often treated with 0.5 milligrams of melatonin a day, while doses of 3 to 5 milligrams a day might be used to treat jet lag or reduce the time it takes to fall asleep. In addition, remember that melatonin is generally recommended only for short-term use — up to two months.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin-side-effects/AN01717

The timing that melatonin is taken is also of importance, it can deregulate sleep rhythm when taken at the wrong hour.

Melatonin has very few side-effects in the short-term, as long as you don't overdose. The main problems with overdosing is hypothermia.

However, I would avoid it unless you have serious problems with sleeping. Animal studies are showing that it increases the risk of cancer, and damages the retina.

Being a Doctor's Assistant, i'll say Melatonin is completely safe and can be taken to fall asleep but make you'll consult your Doctor before taking it...

1. Is melatonin a safe sleep aid?

Yes, melatonin is generally considered safe for short-term use (up to 3 months). However, like any supplement or medication, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before use.

2. Can melatonin cause side effects?

Yes, some common side effects of melatonin include headache, dizziness, nausea, and drowsiness. It may also interact with other medications, so it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before use.

3. Is there a risk of dependency with melatonin?

No, melatonin is not known to be habit forming. However, it is important to use it as directed and not exceed the recommended dosage.

4. Can melatonin be used by children?

Yes, melatonin is commonly used to help children with sleep issues. However, it is important to consult with a pediatrician before giving melatonin to a child.

5. How long does it take for melatonin to work?

The effects of melatonin vary from person to person, but it typically takes 30 minutes to an hour to start working. It is recommended to take melatonin 30 minutes before bedtime for the best results.