Ising model and Hamilton function

In summary: So in summary, the Ising model considers a system of particles with fixed positions but interacting spins, and the energy is often referred to as the "interaction energy" rather than "potential energy."
LagrangeEuler
In case of Ising model we are working with effective Hamiltonian. So let's look to spins which interact. In a case of feromagnet energy function is defined by
## H=-JS_1S_2 ##
We have two possibilities. ##S_1## and ##S_2## has different values. And ##S_1## and ##S_2## has the same value. In first case
## H=-J \cdot 1 \cdot (-1)=J ##
and in the second case
## H=-J \cdot 1 \cdot 1=-J ##
Because ##-J<J## spins like in this case to have parallel orientation. It is clear for me and easy to understand. However I have problem with form of Hamiltonian. Is this Hamiltonian potential or kinetial energy? How energy could be negative ##-J##?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is potential energy from spin-spin interaction. What is the problem with having a negative energy?

And why we do not have kinetic energy? It is not a problem. But I never saw that someone calls this energy potential. Why we do not call it potential energy for Ising spin system?

Spin satisfies
\begin{align}
\mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2 &= \frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{S}^2 - \mathbf{S}_1^2 - \mathbf{S}_2^2 ) \\
&= \frac{1}{2}[S(S+1) - S_1(S_1 + 1) - S_2(S_2 + 1)].
\end{align}
If the total spin is ##\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2} = 0## then
\begin{align}
\mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2 &= \frac{1}{2}[0 - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2} + 1) - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2} + 1)] \\
&= (1/2)(-(3/4) - (3/4)) \\
&= (1/2)(-6/4) \\
&= - 3/4
\end{align}
If the total spin is ##\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} = 1## then
\begin{align}
\mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2 &= \frac{1}{2}[2 - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2} + 1) - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2} + 1)] \\
&= \frac{1}{2}(2 - 3/4 - 3/4) \\
&= (1/2)(2/4) \\
&= 1/4
\end{align}

Treating the potential ##U = U(\mathbf{r}_1 - \mathbf{r}_2)## as a perturbation, the average interaction energy is
\begin{align*}
<U> &= \int dV_1 dV_2 \psi^* U \psi \\
&= \int dV_1 dV_2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \pm \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_2)]U\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) \pm \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2)] \\
&= \int dV_1 dV_2 \frac{1}{2}[\psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \pm \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_2)]U[\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) \pm \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2)] \\
&= \int dV_1 dV_2 \frac{1}{2} \{ [U\psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) + U \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2) ] \\
& \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \pm [U \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2) + U \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) ] \} \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \{ \int dV_1 dV_2 U\psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) + \int dV_1 dV_2 U \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2) ] \\
& \ \ \ \pm [ \int dV_1 dV_2 U \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2) + \int dV_1 dV_2 U \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) ] \} \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \{ \int dV_1 dV_2 U\psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) + \int dV_2 dV_1 U \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1)\psi_2(\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) ] \\
& \ \ \ \pm [ \int dV_1 dV_2 U \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2) + \int dV_2 dV_1 U \psi_2^*(\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_1) ] \} \\
&= \int dV_1 dV_2 U\psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2)\psi_1(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2 (\mathbf{r}_2) \pm \int dV_1 dV_2 U \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2)
\end{align*}
so that ##<U> = A \pm J##, where the ##\textit{exchange integral}##
$$ \pm J = \pm \int dV_1 dV_2 U \psi_1^*(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_2^* (\mathbf{r}_2) \psi_2(\mathbf{r}_1) \psi_1(\mathbf{r}_2)$$
depends on the spin and so can be characterized, using ##1 = 4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2##, spin 1, and ##- 3 = 4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2##, spin 0, we can express, in terms of the spin, using ##1 = 4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2## to find ## - J## via
$$-J = - J \frac{1}{2}(1 + 1) = -J\frac{1}{2}(1 + 4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2)$$
or using ##- 3 = 4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2## to find ##+J## via
$$J = - J \frac{1}{2}(1 - 3) = - J \frac{1}{2}(1 + 4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2)$$
implying that the ##\textit{spin exchange operator}## is
$$\hat{V}_{ex} = - \frac{1}{2}J(1 +4 \mathbf{S}_1 \cdot \mathbf{S}_2).$$
In general,
$$\hat{V}_{ex} = - \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i<j} J_{ij}(1 + 4 \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j) = - \sum_{i<j} J_{ij}(\frac{1}{2} + 2 \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j) = - \sum_{i,j} J_{ij}(\frac{1}{4} + \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j).$$

The Ising model considers the partition function
\begin{align}
Z' &= \sum e^{-H/T} = \sum_{\mathbf{S}} e^{-\beta (- \sum_{i,j} J_{ij}(\frac{1}{4} - \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j)} = \sum_{\mathbf{S}} e^{\beta \sum_{i,j} J_{ij}\frac{1}{4}} e^{ \beta \sum_{i,j} J_{ij} \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j} \\
&= e^{\beta \sum_{i,j} J_{ij}\frac{1}{4}} \sum_{\mathbf{S}} e^{ \beta \sum_{i,j} J_{ij} \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j} = A \sum_{\mathbf{S}} e^{ \beta \sum_{i,j} J_{ij} \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j}
\end{align}
or rather ##Z = Z'/A##, namely
$$Z = \sum_{\mathbf{S}} e^{ \beta \sum_{i,j} J_{ij} \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j}$$
in the case where neighbors have the same interaction strength, ##J_{ij} = J##,
$$Z = \sum_{\mathbf{S}} e^{ \beta J \sum_{i,j} \mathbf{S}_i \cdot \mathbf{S}_j}$$
where you assume spin is non-zero in the z direction
$$Z = \sum_{s^z} e^{ \beta J \sum_{i,j} s^z_i s^z_j}$$
and then magically assume ##s^z_i = s_i = \pm 1## to find the Ising model:
$$Z = \sum_{s} e^{ \beta J \sum_{i,j} s_i s_j}$$
Can you state the last four lines in a better way?

Hopefully the meaning of the Hamiltonian, the meaning of ##J## and the minus sign is clearer.

LagrangeEuler said:
And why we do not have kinetic energy? It is not a problem. But I never saw that someone calls this energy potential. Why we do not call it potential energy for Ising spin system?
There is no kinetic energy because the particles are at fixed positions. As to why it is not usually called a potential energy, I would say it is more a matter of convention. It is often referred to as an interaction energy and rarely as potential energy, this is true. My guess is that "potential energy" is often associated to an energy that is a function of the position of particles and here the energy does not change by changing the position of the particles but by changing their spin states.

1. What is the Ising model?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of interacting particles, such as atoms or spins, in a system. It was first introduced by physicist Ernst Ising in 1925 and has been widely used in various fields, including statistical mechanics, material science, and computer science.

2. How does the Ising model work?

The Ising model is based on a lattice of discrete points, where each point represents a particle with a spin value. The particles interact with their nearest neighbors, and the energy of the system is described by the Hamiltonian function. By minimizing the energy of the system, the model can predict the most stable configuration of the spins.

3. What is the Hamiltonian function in the Ising model?

The Hamiltonian function in the Ising model describes the total energy of the system, taking into account the interactions between the particles. It is composed of two terms: the external field term and the interaction term. The external field term represents the external influence on the particles, while the interaction term describes the interactions between the particles.

4. What are the applications of the Ising model?

The Ising model has been used in various fields of study, including magnetism, phase transitions, and computer science. It has been applied to study the behavior of materials, such as ferromagnets, and to model complex systems, such as neural networks and social networks. It has also been used in the development of algorithms for optimization and machine learning.

5. What are the limitations of the Ising model?

The Ising model has some limitations, such as assuming a simplified lattice structure and only considering interactions between nearest neighbors. This can make it less accurate for more complex systems. It also does not take into account quantum effects, which can be important in certain systems. Additionally, the Ising model is a mean-field theory, meaning it does not account for fluctuations in the system, which can be significant in certain cases.