Isn't the concept of a basis circular?

In summary: However, in the case of the real numbers, there is only one possible basis: {1}. This is because all vectors in ##\mathbb{R}## can be expressed as a multiple of 1. This is not true for all vector spaces. So, there is no problem with having multiple bases in this scenario.
archaic
If ##v## is an element of a vector space ##V## and for example ##\mathcal{B}=\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis of ##V##, then, at least, there should be another basis for ##V## in which the vectors of ##\mathcal{B}## can be expressed, but at the same time, the vectors of this other basis must also be expressed using ##\mathcal{B}##'s vectors.

Why is there no problem here?

Physics news on Phys.org
archaic said:
If ##v## is an element of a vector space ##V## and for example ##\mathcal{B}=\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis of ##V##, then, at least, there should be another basis for ##V## in which the vectors of ##\mathcal{B}## can be expressed, but at the same time, the vectors of this other basis must also be expressed using ##\mathcal{B}##'s vectors.

Your question is not clear. There are an infinite number of possible bases, and any vector can be expressed in any of the bases. For example, in a 2 dimensional Euclidean space, {ex, ey} is a basis, but I can rotate and find a new basis {ex', ey'} where ex' = √2 ex + √2 ey and ey' = -√2 ex + √2 ey. Any vector, including ex, ey, ex', and ey', can be expressed in either basis. Does this help?

archaic said:

Keep it easy. Let's consider ##V=\mathbb{R}##. Then every vector different form ##0## is a basis vector and we have bases
$$
\{\,1\,\} \stackrel{\cdot 2}{\longrightarrow} \{\,2\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{3}{2}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,3\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{1}{3}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,1\,\}
$$
Can you rephrase your question with this example?

Of course if we only have ##V=\mathbb{F}_2## we have only one unique basis vector, two in ##V=\mathbb{F}_3## etc., but let's stay with real vector spaces.

fresh_42 said:
Keep it easy. Let's consider ##V=\mathbb{R}##. Then every vector different form ##0## is a basis vector and we have bases
$$
\{\,1\,\} \stackrel{\cdot 2}{\longrightarrow} \{\,2\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{3}{2}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,3\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{1}{3}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,1\,\}
$$
Can you rephrase your question with this example?

Of course if we only have ##V=\mathbb{F}_2## we have only one unique basis vector, two in ##V=\mathbb{F}_3## etc., but let's stay with real vector spaces.
It seems odd to me that, for example, both ##\{1\}## and ##\{2\}## are basis for each other, there's no building block.

archaic said:
It seems odd to me that, for example, both ##\{1\}## and ##\{2\}## are basis for each other, there's no building block.
Why that? ##b_1=\frac{1}{2}\cdot b_2## and ##b_2=2\cdot b_1## with two bases ##\{\,b_1\,\}## and ##\{\,b_2\,\}##. In this case we have ##b_1=1\, , \,b_2=2\,.##

fresh_42 said:
Why that? ##b_1=\frac{1}{2}\cdot b_2## and ##b_2=2\cdot b_1## with two bases ##\{\,b_1\,\}## and ##\{\,b_2\,\}##. In this case we have ##b_1=1\, , \,b_2=2\,.##
And that is not circular? We're basically saying that, this vector space has ##\{1\}## as basis, but that basis is in turn generated by ##\{2\}## which ultimately is also generated by ##\{1\}##.
We express vectors of a vector space in terms of a basis' vectors, but those basis' vectors are also vectors and should be expressed with a basis' vectors.

Of course it is 'circular'. If ##\{\,b_i\,\}## and ##\{\,c_i\,\}## are two basis of an ##n-##dimensional vector space, then there is a regular ##n\times n## matrix ##A## such that ##Ab_i=c_i## for all ##i##, and as it is regular, we also have ##A^{-1}c_i=b_i## for all ##i\,.##

But there are really many regular matrices, so we have many bases.

Likes Klystron
archaic said:
And that is not circular?

The mathematical concept of a basis does not embody the idea of "smallest building block" or "atoms". Think of physical 3-D space. There are various ways to specify points in 3D space using 3 basis vectors. There are different ways to define a basis for 3D space.

Likes archaic
archaic said:
If ##v## is an element of a vector space ##V## and for example ##\mathcal{B}=\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis of ##V##, then, at least, there should be another basis for ##V##
This is not required, but there may be. After all, a basis isn't necessarily unique. the initial basis is adequate to express the basis vectors, too: ##e_1 = 1\cdot e_1 + 0\cdot e_2 + 0 \cdot e_3## etc.

If you applied an isomorphism on a basis you would get a basis.

Last edited:

1. Isn't the concept of a basis circular?

No, the concept of a basis is not circular. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. It is not defined in terms of itself, but rather in terms of linear independence and spanning of a vector space.

2. How is a basis different from a coordinate system?

A basis is a set of vectors that form the building blocks for a vector space, while a coordinate system is a specific way of representing those vectors using numbers. A basis is a theoretical concept, while a coordinate system is a practical tool for representing vectors.

3. Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. In fact, any vector space with dimension greater than 1 will have infinitely many bases. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.

4. How do you find the basis for a given vector space?

The process of finding a basis for a vector space involves determining a set of linearly independent vectors that span the space. This can be done through various methods such as Gaussian elimination or using the Gram-Schmidt process. It is important to note that there is not a unique basis for a given vector space.

5. Can a basis be changed?

Yes, a basis can be changed. In fact, changing the basis can be a useful tool in solving certain problems in linear algebra. However, the new basis must still fulfill the requirements of being linearly independent and spanning the vector space.