B Isn't the concept of a basis circular?

• Thread starter archaic
  • Start date
If ##v## is an element of a vector space ##V## and for example ##\mathcal{B}=\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis of ##V##, then, at least, there should be another basis for ##V## in which the vectors of ##\mathcal{B}## can be expressed, but at the same time, the vectors of this other basis must also be expressed using ##\mathcal{B}##'s vectors.

Why is there no problem here?

phyzguy

Science Advisor
If ##v## is an element of a vector space ##V## and for example ##\mathcal{B}=\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis of ##V##, then, at least, there should be another basis for ##V## in which the vectors of ##\mathcal{B}## can be expressed, but at the same time, the vectors of this other basis must also be expressed using ##\mathcal{B}##'s vectors.

Your question is not clear. There are an infinite number of possible bases, and any vector can be expressed in any of the bases. For example, in a 2 dimensional Euclidean space, {ex, ey} is a basis, but I can rotate and find a new basis {ex', ey'} where ex' = √2 ex + √2 ey and ey' = -√2 ex + √2 ey. Any vector, including ex, ey, ex', and ey', can be expressed in either basis. Does this help?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award

Keep it easy. Let's consider ##V=\mathbb{R}##. Then every vector different form ##0## is a basis vector and we have bases
$$
\{\,1\,\} \stackrel{\cdot 2}{\longrightarrow} \{\,2\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{3}{2}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,3\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{1}{3}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,1\,\}
$$
Can you rephrase your question with this example?

Of course if we only have ##V=\mathbb{F}_2## we have only one unique basis vector, two in ##V=\mathbb{F}_3## etc., but let's stay with real vector spaces.

Keep it easy. Let's consider ##V=\mathbb{R}##. Then every vector different form ##0## is a basis vector and we have bases
$$
\{\,1\,\} \stackrel{\cdot 2}{\longrightarrow} \{\,2\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{3}{2}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,3\,\} \stackrel{\cdot \frac{1}{3}}{\longrightarrow} \{\,1\,\}
$$
Can you rephrase your question with this example?

Of course if we only have ##V=\mathbb{F}_2## we have only one unique basis vector, two in ##V=\mathbb{F}_3## etc., but let's stay with real vector spaces.
It seems odd to me that, for example, both ##\{1\}## and ##\{2\}## are basis for each other, there's no building block.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
It seems odd to me that, for example, both ##\{1\}## and ##\{2\}## are basis for each other, there's no building block.
Why that? ##b_1=\frac{1}{2}\cdot b_2## and ##b_2=2\cdot b_1## with two bases ##\{\,b_1\,\}## and ##\{\,b_2\,\}##. In this case we have ##b_1=1\, , \,b_2=2\,.##

Why that? ##b_1=\frac{1}{2}\cdot b_2## and ##b_2=2\cdot b_1## with two bases ##\{\,b_1\,\}## and ##\{\,b_2\,\}##. In this case we have ##b_1=1\, , \,b_2=2\,.##
And that is not circular? We're basically saying that, this vector space has ##\{1\}## as basis, but that basis is in turn generated by ##\{2\}## which ultimately is also generated by ##\{1\}##.
We express vectors of a vector space in terms of a basis' vectors, but those basis' vectors are also vectors and should be expressed with a basis' vectors.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Of course it is 'circular'. If ##\{\,b_i\,\}## and ##\{\,c_i\,\}## are two basis of an ##n-##dimensional vector space, then there is a regular ##n\times n## matrix ##A## such that ##Ab_i=c_i## for all ##i##, and as it is regular, we also have ##A^{-1}c_i=b_i## for all ##i\,.##

But there are really many regular matrices, so we have many bases.

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor
And that is not circular?
The mathematical concept of a basis does not embody the idea of "smallest building block" or "atoms". Think of physical 3-D space. There are various ways to specify points in 3D space using 3 basis vectors. There are different ways to define a basis for 3D space.

If ##v## is an element of a vector space ##V## and for example ##\mathcal{B}=\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}## is a basis of ##V##, then, at least, there should be another basis for ##V##
This is not required, but there may be. After all, a basis isn't necessarily unique. the initial basis is adequate to express the basis vectors, too: ##e_1 = 1\cdot e_1 + 0\cdot e_2 + 0 \cdot e_3## etc.

If you applied an isomorphism on a basis you would get a basis.

Last edited: