Linear operators and change of basis

In summary, the conversation discusses changing between bases for a given vector space and expressing vectors as linear combinations with respect to different bases. It also introduces the concept of a linear operator and its components with respect to a basis. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the use of the term "scalar field" and a confirmation of the description provided.
"Don't panic!"
Following on from a previous post of mine about linear operators, I'm trying to firm up my understanding of changing between bases for a given vector space.

For a given vector space [itex]V[/itex] over some scalar field [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex], and two basis sets [itex] \mathcal{B} = \lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i}\rbrace_{i=1,\ldots , n}[/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{B}' = \lbrace\mathbf{e}'_{i}\rbrace_{i=1,\ldots , n}[/itex] which form two given bases for [itex]V[/itex], we can express any vector [itex]\mathbf{v} \in V[/itex] as a unique linear combination with respect to each of these bases, i.e. [tex]\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad \mathbf{v}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}v_{i}\mathbf{e}_{i} \quad\text{and}\quad \mathbf{v} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}v'_{i}\mathbf{e}'_{i} [/tex] Now, suppose we have some linear operator [itex]\mathcal{S}:V \longrightarrow V [/itex] which maps the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}'[/itex], defined in the following manner [tex]\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)= \mathbf{e}'_{j}[/tex] As [itex]\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right) \in V[/itex] is itself a vector in [itex]V[/itex] we can express it as a linear combination of the basis vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_{i} \;\; \left(i=1, \ldots , n\right)[/itex], [tex] \qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\mathbf{e}'_{j}= \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)\right)_{i}\mathbf{e}_{i}= \sum_{i=1}^{n}S_{ij}\mathbf{e}_{i} [/tex] where [itex]S_{ij}\equiv \left(\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)\right)_{i}[/itex] is the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] component of the [itex]j^{th}[/itex] basis vector [itex]\mathbf{e}'_{j}[/itex] with respect to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex]. The [itex]S_{ij}\equiv \left(\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)\right)_{i}[/itex] are the components of the linear operator [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] with respect to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex]. The columns of [itex]\left[\mathcal{S}\right]_{\mathcal{B}}[/itex] are the column vector representations of the vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}'_{j} \in \mathcal{B}'[/itex] with respect to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex].

Would this be a correct description? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks great. I would just say "field" instead of "scalar field", because the latter term makes me think of functions defined on a manifold.

Ah ok. thanks for your help Fredrik.

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another vector space while preserving the vector addition and scalar multiplication operations. In other words, it is a function that operates on vectors and produces another vector as a result.

2. What is the purpose of a change of basis?

A change of basis is used to express the same vector in different coordinate systems. This allows for easier calculations and understanding of abstract vector spaces, as well as simplifying the representation of linear transformations.

3. How do you represent a linear operator?

A linear operator can be represented by a matrix, where the columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors in the new coordinate system. The matrix is known as the transformation matrix.

4. What is the relationship between linear operators and change of basis?

Linear operators and change of basis are closely related because a change of basis can be seen as a linear transformation. This means that applying a change of basis to a vector is equivalent to applying a linear operator to that vector.

5. How do you calculate the change of basis matrix?

To calculate the change of basis matrix, you first need to determine the coordinates of the basis vectors in the new coordinate system. Then, these coordinates can be used as the columns of the transformation matrix. The change of basis matrix is the inverse of this transformation matrix.