Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear operators and change of basis

1. Sep 4, 2014 #1
    Following on from a previous post of mine about linear operators, I'm trying to firm up my understanding of changing between bases for a given vector space.

For a given vector space [itex]V[/itex] over some scalar field [itex]\mathbb{F}[/itex], and two basis sets [itex] \mathcal{B} = \lbrace\mathbf{e}_{i}\rbrace_{i=1,\ldots , n}[/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{B}' = \lbrace\mathbf{e}'_{i}\rbrace_{i=1,\ldots , n}[/itex] which form two given bases for [itex]V[/itex], we can express any vector [itex]\mathbf{v} \in V[/itex] as a unique linear combination with respect to each of these bases, i.e. [tex]\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad \mathbf{v}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}v_{i}\mathbf{e}_{i} \quad\text{and}\quad \mathbf{v} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}v'_{i}\mathbf{e}'_{i} [/tex] Now, suppose we have some linear operator [itex]\mathcal{S}:V \longrightarrow V [/itex] which maps the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex] to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}'[/itex], defined in the following manner [tex]\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)= \mathbf{e}'_{j}[/tex] As [itex]\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right) \in V[/itex] is itself a vector in [itex]V[/itex] we can express it as a linear combination of the basis vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}_{i} \;\; \left(i=1, \ldots , n\right)[/itex], [tex] \qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\mathbf{e}'_{j}= \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)\right)_{i}\mathbf{e}_{i}= \sum_{i=1}^{n}S_{ij}\mathbf{e}_{i} [/tex] where [itex]S_{ij}\equiv \left(\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)\right)_{i}[/itex] is the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] component of the [itex]j^{th}[/itex] basis vector [itex]\mathbf{e}'_{j}[/itex] with respect to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex]. The [itex]S_{ij}\equiv \left(\mathcal{S} \left(\mathbf{e}_{j}\right)\right)_{i}[/itex] are the components of the linear operator [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex] with respect to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex]. The columns of [itex]\left[\mathcal{S}\right]_{\mathcal{B}}[/itex] are the column vector representations of the vectors [itex]\mathbf{e}'_{j} \in \mathcal{B}'[/itex] with respect to the basis [itex]\mathcal{B}[/itex].

Would this be a correct description? Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks great. I would just say "field" instead of "scalar field", because the latter term makes me think of functions defined on a manifold.

4. Sep 4, 2014 #3
    Ah ok. thanks for your help Fredrik.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook