Isobaric/isochoric (?) heating of an ideal gas

In summary: I'm glad to hear that my method and result are correct. In summary, the problem involves an ideal gas with a given heat capacity at constant volume, and the task is to calculate the change in internal energy and enthalpy when the gas is heated from a given initial temperature to a given final temperature. Since the process is isochoric (constant volume), the work done is zero, and the change in internal energy is equal to the heat transferred. The change in enthalpy is equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done by the gas, which can be calculated using the ideal gas law.
MexChemE

Homework Statement

Consider an ideal gas with [itex]C_V=6.76 \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K}[/itex]. Calculate [itex]\Delta H[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U[/itex] when ten moles of this gas are heated from 273.15 K to 373.15 K.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta H = \Delta U + P\Delta V[/tex]
[tex]Q=n C_V \Delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As I'm given the heat capacity at constant volume I'm assuming this is an isochoric process. That means [itex]W=0[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]\Delta U=Q[/itex].
[tex]\Delta U=Q= (10 \ mol) \left(6.76 \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K} \right) (100 \ K) = 6760 \ cal[/tex]
Now, for the change in enthalpy we have:
[tex]\Delta H = 6760 \ cal + P\Delta V[/tex]
This is where I'm having trouble. Should I cancel the second term in the above equation? And so have: [itex]\Delta H=\Delta U[/itex]. But, if the gas is heated at constant volume pressure should increase, that means I should consider the PV term in the last equation. I wasn't provided with initial or final values for pressure and volume, so there's not enough information to use PV=nRT. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
But the last term isn't V, it's ΔV, so no matter what P is, PΔV for an isochoric process will be 0, because volume doesn't change (ΔV=0). I feel that this is a safe assumption, since you were given CV, which is the specific heat at constant volume.

Could the last term be Δ(PV)? I just realized I can get (PV)1 and (PV)2 from PV=nRT with the data I was provided.

Sorry to double post but I think I figured it out. The standard definition of the change of enthalpy: ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV). The case ΔH = ΔU + PΔV is only for isobaric processes. The process here is isochoric, so we have no work done by the system, but we had a change in pressure. Therefore, ΔH = Q + PΔV + VΔP. I can cancel out the PΔV term, and I can get VΔP with the ideal gas law. So:
[tex]\Delta H = 6790 \ cal + (10 \ mol) \left(1.987 \ \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K} \right)(100 \ K) = 8777 \ cal[/tex]

Is it right this time?

Last edited:
Nothing is said about the process of heating. The internal energy of n mol of an ideal gas is U=nCvT, so
##\Delta U=nCv \Delta T##
for any process. H is defined as H=U+PV. Substituting P=nRT/V from the ideal gaw law, H=nT(Cv+R) =nTCp.
##\Delta H=nCp \Delta T##.
Your method and result are correct.

ehild

Last edited:
Thank you!

1. What is isobaric heating of an ideal gas?

Isobaric heating of an ideal gas refers to the process of increasing the temperature of an ideal gas while keeping the pressure constant. This can be achieved by adding heat to the gas or by compressing the gas in a container with a movable piston.

2. How does isobaric heating affect the volume of an ideal gas?

Isobaric heating of an ideal gas does not affect the volume of the gas, as the pressure remains constant. However, if the gas is heated in a container with a fixed volume, the gas molecules will move faster and the density of the gas will increase.

3. What is isochoric heating of an ideal gas?

Isochoric heating of an ideal gas refers to the process of increasing the temperature of an ideal gas while keeping the volume constant. This can be achieved by adding heat to the gas in a container with fixed volume, without allowing the gas to expand or contract.

4. How does isochoric heating affect the pressure of an ideal gas?

Isochoric heating of an ideal gas does not affect the pressure of the gas, as the volume remains constant. However, the pressure will increase if the gas is heated in a closed container, as the increased temperature will cause the gas molecules to move faster and collide with the walls of the container with more force.

5. What is the difference between isobaric and isochoric heating?

The main difference between isobaric and isochoric heating is that isobaric heating keeps the pressure of the gas constant, while isochoric heating keeps the volume of the gas constant. Additionally, isobaric heating can cause changes in volume, while isochoric heating does not.