1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isobaric/isochoric (?) heating of an ideal gas

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an ideal gas with [itex]C_V=6.76 \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K}[/itex]. Calculate [itex]\Delta H[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U[/itex] when ten moles of this gas are heated from 273.15 K to 373.15 K.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta H = \Delta U + P\Delta V[/tex]
    [tex]Q=n C_V \Delta T[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    As I'm given the heat capacity at constant volume I'm assuming this is an isochoric process. That means [itex]W=0[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]\Delta U=Q[/itex].
    [tex]\Delta U=Q= (10 \ mol) \left(6.76 \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K} \right) (100 \ K) = 6760 \ cal[/tex]
    Now, for the change in enthalpy we have:
    [tex]\Delta H = 6760 \ cal + P\Delta V[/tex]
    This is where I'm having trouble. Should I cancel the second term in the above equation? And so have: [itex]\Delta H=\Delta U[/itex]. But, if the gas is heated at constant volume pressure should increase, that means I should consider the PV term in the last equation. I wasn't provided with initial or final values for pressure and volume, so there's not enough information to use PV=nRT. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2
    But the last term isn't V, it's ΔV, so no matter what P is, PΔV for an isochoric process will be 0, because volume doesn't change (ΔV=0). I feel that this is a safe assumption, since you were given CV, which is the specific heat at constant volume.

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3
    Could the last term be Δ(PV)? I just realized I can get (PV)1 and (PV)2 from PV=nRT with the data I was provided.

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4
    Sorry to double post but I think I figured it out. The standard definition of the change of enthalpy: ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV). The case ΔH = ΔU + PΔV is only for isobaric processes. The process here is isochoric, so we have no work done by the system, but we had a change in pressure. Therefore, ΔH = Q + PΔV + VΔP. I can cancel out the PΔV term, and I can get VΔP with the ideal gas law. So:
    [tex]\Delta H = 6790 \ cal + (10 \ mol) \left(1.987 \ \frac{cal}{mol \cdot K} \right)(100 \ K) = 8777 \ cal[/tex]

Is it right this time?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  6. Oct 16, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nothing is said about the process of heating. The internal energy of n mol of an ideal gas is U=nCvT, so
    ##\Delta U=nCv \Delta T##
    for any process. H is defined as H=U+PV. Substituting P=nRT/V from the ideal gaw law, H=nT(Cv+R) =nTCp.
    ##\Delta H=nCp \Delta T##.
    Your method and result are correct.

ehild

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. Oct 16, 2014 #6
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted