1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphic between plane and line

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I understand that the open interval (0,1) is isomorphic to the real line [tex]\mathbb{R}^1[/tex]

May i know whether there is also isomorphism from [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}^1[/tex]

thanks a lot!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2
    What do you mean by an isomorphism in this case?

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    hmm.... the usual sense of isomorphism.... where there is a structure preserving bijective map from R^2 to R^1. sorry is my question still vague?

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is which structure are you interested in! It's structure as a set? As an additive group? As a topological space?

I imagine it's the topology you care about. In that case, the answer is "no". The common proof (AFAIK) is to consider the image of a subset of R2 in the shape of the letter Y -- if such an isomorphism existed, it must be injective on the Y. Can you derive a contradiction from that?

6. Aug 22, 2009 #5
    There is a Borel isomorphism between [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

There is a group somorphism between [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] (both with addition).

BUT: There is no map between [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] that is both a Borel isomorphism and a group isomorphism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook