1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphic group needed for cayley table

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find an isomorphic group for the following group
    F A B C D E F G H < these are the rotations/reflections, f is the operation followed by
    A G D E B C H A F
    B D G F A H C B E
    C E F G H A B C D
    D B A H G F E D C
    E C H A F G D E B
    F H C B E D G F A
    G A B C D E F G H
    H F E D C B A H G
    ^
    These are again the rotations/reflections

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Someone mentioned that there could be an isomorphism with multiplication under modulo 17 but with my limited knowledge in isomorphic groups I was unable to re-arrange the group as such. Any help would be highly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(I bet they meant 16, not 17)

It's a group with 8 elements, right? There aren't very many of those. Have you at least found which one is the identity?

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    I haven't found a numerical Identity. I've just been looking at square values for numbers under 17 to see if theres a relationship but I haven't found anything

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nono, I mean what is the identity element of your group? We can learn a lot by actually working in your group and determining a few simple properties.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5
    G is the indentity and they all have self inverses

7. Mar 25, 2012 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. And since there is only one group with that property, your group has to be isomorphic to it!

Do you know what group that is? Hint:
    it's abelian

The squares modulo 17 don't have this property: that group is a cyclic group. The units modulo 16 don't either (mistake on my part: I was thinking of the fact that the units modulo 8 have that property that they're all self-inverses).

8. Mar 25, 2012 #7
    Is there an isomorphic abelian group with 8 elements though. Thats what I need to find. I'm also unaccustomed to cyclic groups, our teacher made us skip it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook