Issue with Latex Equations: I have a screen recording of the problem

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter zenterix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    latex
In summary: It's a known issue, I'm afraid. MathJax only loads on pages where there's already LaTeX. That means that new threads, and the first reply on a page to use LaTeX, don't get their maths rendered in preview. Yes, that is annoying.Greg Bernhardt?Over the holiday I can look into loading the main MathJax script when the preview button is clicked.That would be great if it's possible, Greg, thanks.
zenterix
My posts all include many equations written in Latex. It seems to me like there are a few bugs related to usage of Latex specifically when just starting a new thread.

I've made a short 2 minute screen recording to show the issue I face every single time I want to start a new thread, and the way I get around it.

Since it doesn't seem possible to attach the video here, I have saved it to Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ed7_oD8j66R62h6g0LYvqaBgizgY5Xj0/view?usp=sharing.

I think it's pretty clear what's happening there, though I would be shocked if this is happening to everyone because it's such an annoying bug that I would imagine it would have had to be brought up and solved by now.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a known issue, I'm afraid. MathJax only loads on pages where there's already LaTeX. That means that new threads, and the first reply on a page to use LaTeX, don't get their maths rendered in preview. Yes, that is annoying.

Ibix said:
It's a known issue, I'm afraid. MathJax only loads on pages where there's already LaTeX. That means that new threads, and the first reply on a page to use LaTeX, don't get their maths rendered in preview. Yes, that is annoying.
Is it the case that someone has looked into it and there is no easy solution, or is it just an issue on the backburner?

If the latter, is it possible for a regular user to look into it and possibly create a pull request?

Likes PeroK
Over the holiday I can look into loading the main MathJax script when the preview button is clicked.

Likes George Keeling, Wrichik Basu, zenterix and 3 others
That would be great if it's possible, Greg, thanks.

Likes zenterix
zenterix said:
Is it the case that someone has looked into it and there is no easy solution, or is it just an issue on the backburner?

If the latter, is it possible for a regular user to look into it and possibly create a pull request?
What I do is: copy the text so I don't lose it; hit the browser screen refresh; then hit the PF preview.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Ibix
PeroK said:
What I do is: copy the text so I don't lose it; hit the browser screen refresh; then hit the PF preview.
Well whaddaya know... Thanks. Doesn't seem to work quite right in the Post new thread screen, though. I just tried it and got the rendered LaTeX in the editor, which was not what I wanted.

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Ibix said:
Well whaddaya know... Thanks. Doesn't seem to work quite right in the Post new thread screen, though. I just tried it and got the rendered LaTeX in the editor, which was not what I wanted.
This needs to be fixed.

Likes zenterix and Ibix
Ibix said:
Is it possible to include LaTeX on every page of the forum (e.g. in the footer of the page) so that MathJax always loads or would this cause performance issues?

Ygggdrasil said:
Is it possible to include LaTeX on every page of the forum (e.g. in the footer of the page) so that MathJax always loads or would this cause performance issues?
Performance is the factor. The library is quite large and the fact is most threads don't have equations.

Likes Ygggdrasil and Ibix
Another alternative (I had probably suggested this before) is to show a button in pages in which MathJax is not already loaded. Clicking the button should load the MathJax resource for that page.

Likes PeroK
Would it be possible for a script to search the page for any of the four tags for tex/itex and, if found, load MathJax? Would the search be quite fast?

DrGreg said:
Would it be possible for a script to search the page for any of the four tags for tex/itex and, if found, load MathJax? Would the search be quite fast?
That is how it works currently, the preview function complicates that a little.

Likes Wrichik Basu and DrGreg

What is the issue with Latex Equations?

The issue with Latex Equations is that they are not displaying correctly on the screen recording.

How can I fix the issue with Latex Equations?

To fix the issue with Latex Equations, you can try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. You can also try using a different browser or updating your current browser to the latest version.

Why are the Latex Equations not appearing correctly on the screen recording?

There could be several reasons why the Latex Equations are not appearing correctly on the screen recording. It could be due to a technical issue with the recording software, a compatibility issue with the browser or device, or an error in the code used for the equations.

Can you provide a solution for the issue with Latex Equations?

Without seeing the screen recording or having more information about the problem, it is difficult to provide a specific solution. However, you can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned earlier or seek help from a technical expert.

Is there a way to prevent future issues with Latex Equations on screen recordings?

To prevent future issues with Latex Equations on screen recordings, make sure to use updated software and compatible browsers or devices. Also, double-check the code used for the equations for any errors or compatibility issues.