Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue with math in physics problem?

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    Ok so for the problem i'm mainly having trouble with setting up one of the equations.
    The solutions manual jumped from:
    ωiz([(2/5mERE2)/(2/5mERE2) + (2/3mdebrisRE2)]-1)
    to:
    ωiz([mE/(mE + (5/3mdebris))]-1)

I placed the brackets to clearly separate the fraction from the -1. Anyways i'm having trouble seeing how the math is done to get from the first equation to the second equation, how was it simplified? If anyone is confused on how i wrote the problem please just ask! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

These aren't equations - they are expressions.

Inside the parentheses you have (2/5mERE2)/(2/5mERE2), which is just 1.

The fractions you wrote are ambiguous, which doesn't change what I wrote above.
    Is the numerator ##\frac{2}{5}m_ER_E^2##
    or is it ##\frac{2}{5m_ER_E^2}##?

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3
    The numerator is ##\frac{2}{5}m_ER_E^2##. I get that ##\frac{2}{5}m_ER_E^2##/##\frac{2}{5}m_ER_E^2## is equal to 1, im mainly confused on how (2/3mdebrisRE2) became (5/3mdebris) or if the manual made a mistake.

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4
    If you put an extra set of parentheses in the original expression, the ##R_E^2##s cancel and you can multiply everything by ##\frac{5}{2}## to get $$\frac{\frac{2}{5}m_ER_E^2}{\frac{2}{5}m_ER_E^2+\frac{2}{3}m_{\text{debris}} R_E^2}=\frac{m_E}{m_E+\frac{5}{3}m_{\text{debris}}}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook