It seems that the eigenvalue problem rules out the possibility of E=0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the eigenvalue problem in quantum mechanics not being able to distinguish between a non-existent wavefunction and a zero energy particle. It also touches on the assumption made in the algebraic derivation of the ground state of the harmonic oscillator, and the concept of minimum energy in classical and quantum systems. The conversation concludes with a simple example from linear algebra to illustrate the existence of states with energy levels at or below zero in quantum systems.
BHL 20
TL;DR Summary
Since the eigenvalue problem can't distinguish between a non-existent wavefunction (and therefore a non-existent particle), and the energy being zero?
Since the eigenvalue problem can't distinguish between a non-existent wavefunction (and therefore a non-existent particle), and the energy being zero. This is the next thing that has started bothering me on my journey to understand quantum mechanics.

For example, in the algebraic derivation of the ground state of the harmonic oscillator, it is assumed that the ground state has that wavefunction which vanishes when acted upon by the lowering operator. In the video I linked below this step is taken around the 12.00 minute mark.

But writing that a-ψ0=0 guarantees that this ground state wavefunction will have E>0. Because if it had E=0, then it would itself have a zero on the right side of its eigenvalue equation. So it seems that because the eigenvalue problem can't tell apart a non-existent particle from a zero energy particle, any quantum system with discrete energy levels will have a ground state with E>0.

Maybe this is a stupid question, and maybe this is an intentional effect of the formalism. But I'd like to know if my reasoning here is correct. And if this is inherent to the formalism of quantum mechanics, what is the justification for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
BHL 20 said:
the eigenvalue problem can't distinguish between a non-existent wavefunction (and therefore a non-existent particle), and the energy being zero
Neither can I.

BHL 20 said:
Since the eigenvalue problem can't distinguish between a non-existent wavefunction (and therefore a non-existent particle), and the energy being zero. This is the next thing that has started bothering me on my journey to understand quantum mechanics.
A general eigenvalue problem is stated as finding a non-zero state fulfilling the equation ##A\left|\psi\right>=\lambda \left|\psi\right>##
This means of course that the equation itself is not enough, you always need to assure that your state is not the zero one (the neutral element of the addition). I don't know what do you mean about energy zero, the zero state has no definite energy since is not a physical state being non-normalizable.

BHL 20 said:
For example, in the algebraic derivation of the ground state of the harmonic oscillator, it is assumed that the ground state has that wavefunction which vanishes when acted upon by the lowering operator. In the video I linked below this step is taken around the 12.00 minute mark.
That the lowering operator vanishes when acting on the ground state is not an assumption, is something you can prove.

BHL 20 said:
But writing that a-ψ0=0 guarantees that this ground state wavefunction will have E>0. Because if it had E=0, then it would itself have a zero on the right side of its eigenvalue equation. So it seems that because the eigenvalue problem can't tell apart a non-existent particle from a zero energy particle, any quantum system with discrete energy levels will have a ground state with E>0.
Not true, look at the Hamiltonian ##H=a^\dagger a##, the ground state has energy 0, there's no problem at all.

Likes Demystifier
Gaussian97 said:
A general eigenvalue problem is stated as finding a non-zero state fulfilling the equation ##A\left|\psi\right>=\lambda \left|\psi\right>##
This means of course that the equation itself is not enough, you always need to assure that your state is not the zero one (the neutral element of the addition). I don't know what do you mean about energy zero, the zero state has no definite energy since is not a physical state being non-normalizable.
I'm just wondering why lecturers and textbooks make such a big deal at the end of a derivation when the ground state energy comes out to be zero. "In classical physics we can have a harmonic oscillator at rest with zero energy, but in quantum mechanics it must always have some energy." If it cannot be any other way, why is it presented as a surprising result?
Gaussian97 said:
That the lowering operator vanishes when acting on the ground state is not an assumption, is something you can prove.
In the derivation I linked, it is used as the assumption from which to derive the ground state eigenfunction for the system. Is it something you can prove without first having the expression for this eigenfunction?
Gaussian97 said:
Not true, look at the Hamiltonian ##H=a^\dagger a##, the ground state has energy 0, there's no problem at all.
Sorry, I don't understand this example.

BHL 20 said:
I'm just wondering why lecturers and textbooks make such a big deal at the end of a derivation when the ground state energy comes out to be zero. "In classical physics we can have a harmonic oscillator at rest with zero energy, but in quantum mechanics it must always have some energy." If it cannot be any other way, why is it presented as a surprising result?
The surprising result is that the minimum energy for the quantum HO system is greater than the minimum energy for the classical HO. If we take this last one as the 0 by definition then yes, you will have that the energy for all the quantum states will be positive. Whether this causes you surprise or not is purely subjective, but I think that lots of times it is mentioned as a connection with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.
Anyway, it has nothing to do with the energies being positive in general and nothing to do with the equation ##a\left|0\right>=0##.

BHL 20 said:
In the derivation I linked, it is used as the assumption from which to derive the ground state eigenfunction for the system. Is it something you can prove without first having the expression for this eigenfunction?
The proof is usually something like this:
We prove that the eigenvalues of our Hamiltonian are bounded from below.
We find an operator that maps eigenstates to other eigenstates with the property that the energy of the latter is strictly lower than the initial energy.
Therefore such an operator need necessarily to annihilate the ground state.

BHL 20 said:
Sorry, I don't understand this example.
What you don't understand? Is a Hamiltonian with a spectrum ##E=0,1,2,3,...## which clearly shows that there's nothing forbidding a state with ##E\leq 0##

Likes BHL 20
Maybe it helps to look at a simple example from linear algebra. What are the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the following matrix?
$$\left( \begin{array}{rrr}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{array}\right)$$

Likes gentzen, vanhees71 and atyy

1. What is the eigenvalue problem and how does it relate to E=0?

The eigenvalue problem is a mathematical concept used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a given matrix. It is related to E=0 because the eigenvalues of a matrix with all zero entries will be zero, meaning that the matrix has no non-trivial eigenvectors.

2. Can E=0 ever be a valid solution to the eigenvalue problem?

No, E=0 cannot be a valid solution to the eigenvalue problem. The eigenvalues of a matrix with all zero entries will be zero, but this does not mean that E=0 is a valid solution. The eigenvalue problem requires the matrix to have at least one non-zero entry in order to have non-trivial eigenvectors.

3. Why does the eigenvalue problem rule out the possibility of E=0?

The eigenvalue problem rules out the possibility of E=0 because it requires the matrix to have at least one non-zero entry in order to have non-trivial eigenvectors. Since a matrix with all zero entries will have all zero eigenvalues, E=0 cannot be a valid solution.

4. Is there any scenario where E=0 can be a valid solution to the eigenvalue problem?

No, there is no scenario where E=0 can be a valid solution to the eigenvalue problem. The eigenvalue problem requires the matrix to have at least one non-zero entry in order to have non-trivial eigenvectors, so E=0 is not a possible solution.

5. Can the eigenvalue problem be solved for matrices with E=0?

Yes, the eigenvalue problem can still be solved for matrices with E=0. However, the resulting eigenvalues will all be zero, meaning that the matrix will have no non-trivial eigenvectors. This is why E=0 is not a valid solution to the eigenvalue problem.