It's not electrical, it's purely mathematical

In summary, the conversation is about creating a circuit with a battery and multiple bulbs without any loops. The question is how many ways there are to make this circuit, using either series or trees. The position of the battery is not important and the solution involves calculating the number of connected trees using recursion.
pixel01
Hi all,

I posted this thread here and it was removed to electrical box (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=169778). In fact it is not an electrical. I hope this time it can be solved.

There is a battery (B) and n bulbs (A1, A2... An). Now that I have to make a circuit from the battery to all the bulbs. There should be no loops. You can make it in series or trees, but no loops. The question is: ' how many ways to make a circuit are there? '.
Here I draw a picture illustrating the case n=2. Because there are only 3 knots so there's no tree.

Thanks.

Attachments

• circuit.GIF
    circuit.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the position of the battery does not matter.
You just need to calculate to number of connected trees that can be done with n bulbs.
Try recusivity.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It is interesting to see a purely mathematical approach to circuits instead of the traditional electrical perspective. From a mathematical standpoint, the number of ways to make a circuit with n bulbs would be n!, which is the factorial of n. This is because each bulb can be connected to the battery in n different ways, and then the remaining n-1 bulbs can be connected in n-1 ways, and so on. This results in a total of n! possible circuits.

However, in an electrical circuit, the number of ways would depend on the type of circuit elements and their connections, as well as the voltage and current requirements. This is why your thread was moved to the electrical box, as it is more relevant to that field.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Thank you for bringing a different perspective to the topic of circuits.

1. What is the difference between electrical and mathematical principles?

Electrical principles involve the study of electricity and its properties, while mathematical principles involve the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes.

2. How are mathematical principles used in scientific research?

Mathematical principles are used in scientific research to create models and equations that can accurately describe and predict natural phenomena. These models help scientists understand complex systems and make precise calculations.

3. Can mathematical principles be applied to all scientific fields?

Yes, mathematical principles can be applied to all scientific fields, from physics and chemistry to biology and environmental science. Mathematics provides a universal language and framework for scientific inquiry.

4. Why is it important to distinguish between electrical and mathematical principles?

Distinguishing between electrical and mathematical principles is important because they represent different aspects of the natural world. While electrical principles focus on the behavior of electrical currents and fields, mathematical principles focus on abstract concepts and relationships.

5. How can understanding mathematical principles benefit our daily lives?

Understanding mathematical principles can help us make sense of the world around us and make informed decisions. It can also improve our problem-solving skills and enable us to make accurate predictions and calculations in various situations.