Ive added an attachment and highlited the area that I have a question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0
Ive added an attachment and highlited the area that I have a question about. How where they able to resolve the denominator into factors without dividing the denominator by the H.C.F.?
 
Attachments
  • math.jpg
    math.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org


Miike012 said:
Ive added an attachment and highlighted the area that I have a question about. How where they able to resolve the denominator into factors without dividing the denominator by the H.C.F.?
attachment.php?attachmentid=37714&d=1312339305.jpg
Once it's determined that the numerator in factored form is, x(x+4)(x-1), it's easy to see,by using the remainder theorem, that the only one of these that's a factor of the denominator is x-1.

The denominator is [itex]7x^3-18x^2+6x+5\,.[/itex]

Split up -18x2 into -7x2 - 11x2

You get [itex]7x^3-7x^2-11x^2+6x+5\quad\to\quad7x^2(x-1)-11x^2+6x+5 \,.[/itex]

Similarly write 6x as -11x - 5x & factor as needed two terms at a time.