Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Japan Tsunami Junk Floating Towards Hawaii

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    See:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/20-million-tons-debris-japan-tsunami-moving-toward-143640503.html

Up to 20 million tons of debris from Japan’s tsunami moving toward Hawaii

By Laura Rozen
    Senior Foreign Affairs Reporter

Some 5 to 20 million tons of debris--furniture, fishing boats, refrigerators--sucked into the Pacific Ocean in the wake of Japan's March 11 earthquake and tsunami are moving rapidly across the Pacific. Researchers from the University of Hawaii tracking the wreckage estimate it could approach the U.S. West Coast in the next three years, the UK Daily Mail reports.
    "We have a rough estimate of 5 to 20 million tons of debris coming from Japan," University of Hawaii researcher Jan Hafner told Hawaii's ABC affiliate KITV.
    Crew members from the Russian training ship the STS Pallada "spotted the debris 2,000 miles from Japan," last month after passing the Midway islands, the Mail wrote. "They saw some pieces of furniture, some appliances, anything that can float, and they picked up a fishing boat," said Hafner. The boat was 20-feet long, and was painted with the word "Fukushima." "That's actually our first confirmed report of tsunami debris," Hafner told KITV.

The 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami that hit northeastern Japan on March 11 has left some 20,000 people dead or missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No one has plans to pck up the garbage? Perhaps TLC can do a reality show about it and can have contestants loot the junk.

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How could you pick up 20 million tons of garbage?

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4
    I'm on Oahu. If I see anything here, I'll let you guys know... It looks like most of it is going to float north of Hawaii though, which is good; it would suck to be riding a wave and then all of a sudden get hit in the head with a refrigerator!

6. Oct 25, 2011 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, you're probably missing out on all sorts of cool stuff. I could use a new fridge myself

7. Oct 25, 2011 #6

Evo

Don't ever underestimate what contestants on a reality tv show are capable of.

8. Oct 25, 2011 #7
    It's already passed through my daughter's bedroom.

9. Oct 25, 2011 #8

Evo

:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook