Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jinxes: Why Do People Believe In This?

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Why are people so conceited as to think just by expressing optimism or pessimism over a situation that suddenly the opposite is going to happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends on the situation. If it deals with people, it seems more like a tool of communication telling you to change. It's very lame.

I call people out when they try to manipulate scenarios with lame ways. They hate it.

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    Because half the time it works.

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What does being superstitious have to do with being conceited?

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5
    We don't have to believe in it in order to find it amusing.

7. Sep 26, 2008 #6
    Because you believe that you can manipulate natural events just by merely thinking or expressing something. The fact that someone thinks they're that potent as a human is an arrogant way of viewing yourself.

8. Sep 26, 2008 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's why you call them out on it.

Off-Topic (just another silly thing people do and think it works): I think the funniest argument most people have is the "just cause" or the circular arguments. I was having one yesterday and the person wouldn't stop. I stopped it and pointed out how he/she wasted my time by going laps around a dumb argument and stupid topic. Get over it is my conclusion.

9. Sep 26, 2008 #8

Evo

Ah, you mean the person that claims to put a jinx on someone. I've never known anyone to do that.

10. Sep 26, 2008 #9
    I make larger bets when I'm playing craps if I'm the shooter. then again, I am that conceited

11. Sep 26, 2008 #10
    Nobody actually believes this. They're just having fun.

12. Sep 26, 2008 #11
    Perhaps you would like to join the "believers that the flat earth society doesn't really believe in a flat earth" society.

13. Sep 26, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

There are people who not only believe that they can jinx themselves by verbalizing their hopes, but who do odd things like knock on wood or engage in OC behaviors that they think are "lucky". Among such people that I know, perhaps the worst offenders were athletes, like basketball or baseball players.

14. Sep 26, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe that this results from the notion that we don't want to tempt God or the gods by showing arrogance. It results from fear, not conceit.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  15. Sep 26, 2008 #14

Art

One guy that did it in style was the Archbishop of Glasgow, Gavin Dunbar in 1552. who upset by cattle thieves from across the river in Carlisle cursed them thus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/articles/2005/03/02/carlisle_cursing_stone_feature.shtml

In 2001 all 1,600 words of this curse was resurrected and inscribed on a sculpture in Carlisle since which many folk living there have ascribed a string of bad luck to it's presence. There's a campaign at the moment to have it removed.

16. Sep 26, 2008 #15
    wow. I usually just say "f you"

17. Sep 26, 2008 #16
    You took that out context, which I have provided.

18. Sep 26, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's more just a way to cope with a feeling of helplessness. If things go well, they can say they helped make it happen. If things don't go well, they can say, "At least I tried."

That, or it just gives you something to do while waiting for the inevitable.

19. Sep 26, 2008 #18
    and what's the harm? It can't work if you don't try.
    I know if I fall out of a building that there is nothing I can do to keep from hitting the ground, but that doesn't mean I won't be flapping my arms like crazy, just in case.

20. Sep 26, 2008 #19

Evo

Lots of cattle rustler descendents eh?

Boy, he didn't miss anything, I think I will use this on my foes. :approve:

21. Sep 27, 2008 #20
    No, people really do believe in this. Some people actually get pissed off if someone says "oh, X is doing well" and in that same breath a bomb falls on X. Then those people are like "look at what you did!" and they go back to perpetually knocking on wood for the rest of their lives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?