Jinxes: Why Do People Believe In This?

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
In summary, people often think that they can manipulate natural events by expressing their hopes or fears, but this belief stems from fear rather than conceit. Some people go as far as to curse others, as seen in historical examples such as Archbishop Gavin Dunbar in the 16th century. However, these actions are more likely driven by fear and superstition rather than true belief.
LightbulbSun
Why are people so conceited as to think just by expressing optimism or pessimism over a situation that suddenly the opposite is going to happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the situation. If it deals with people, it seems more like a tool of communication telling you to change. It's very lame.

I call people out when they try to manipulate scenarios with lame ways. They hate it.

LightbulbSun said:
Why are people so conceited as to think just by expressing optimism or pessimism over a situation that suddenly the opposite is going to happen?
Because half the time it works.

LightbulbSun said:
What does being superstitious have to do with being conceited?

We don't have to believe in it in order to find it amusing.

Evo said:
What does being superstitious have to do with being conceited?

Because you believe that you can manipulate natural events just by merely thinking or expressing something. The fact that someone thinks they're that potent as a human is an arrogant way of viewing yourself.

LightbulbSun said:
Because you believe that you can manipulate natural events just by merely thinking or expressing something. The fact that someone thinks they're that potent as a human is an arrogant way of viewing yourself.

That's why you call them out on it.

Off-Topic (just another silly thing people do and think it works): I think the funniest argument most people have is the "just cause" or the circular arguments. I was having one yesterday and the person wouldn't stop. I stopped it and pointed out how he/she wasted my time by going laps around a dumb argument and stupid topic. Get over it is my conclusion.

LightbulbSun said:
Ah, you mean the person that claims to put a jinx on someone. I've never known anyone to do that.

I make larger bets when I'm playing craps if I'm the shooter. then again, I am that conceited

Nobody actually believes this. They're just having fun.

Monocles said:
Perhaps you would like to join the "believers that the flat Earth society doesn't really believe in a flat earth" society.

There are people who not only believe that they can jinx themselves by verbalizing their hopes, but who do odd things like knock on wood or engage in OC behaviors that they think are "lucky". Among such people that I know, perhaps the worst offenders were athletes, like basketball or baseball players.

LightbulbSun said:

I believe that this results from the notion that we don't want to tempt God or the gods by showing arrogance. It results from fear, not conceit.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Ah, you mean the person that claims to put a jinx on someone. I've never known anyone to do that.
One guy that did it in style was the Archbishop of Glasgow, Gavin Dunbar in 1552. who upset by cattle thieves from across the river in Carlisle cursed them thus.

"I curse their head and all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain (innermost thoughts), their mouth, their nose, their tongue, their teeth, their forehead, their shoulders, their breast, their heart, their stomach, their back, their womb, their arms, their leggs, their hands, their feet, and every part of their body, from the top of their head to the soles of their feet, before and behind, within and without."

"I curse them going and I curse them riding; I curse them standing and I curse them sitting; I curse them eating and I curse them drinking; I curse them rising, and I curse them lying; I curse them at home, I curse them away from home; I curse them within the house, I curse them outside of the house; I curse their wives, their children, and their servants who participate in their deeds. I (bring ill wishes upon) their crops, their cattle, their wool, their sheep, their horses, their swine, their geese, their hens, and all their livestock. I (bring ill wishes upon) their halls, their chambers, their kitchens, their stanchions, their barns, their cowsheds, their barnyards, their cabbage patches, their plows, their harrows, and the goods and houses that are necessary for their sustenance and welfare."

"May all the malevolent wishes and curses ever known, since the beginning of the world, to this hour, light on them. May the malediction of God, that fell upon Lucifer and all his fellows, that cast them from the high Heaven to the deep hell, light upon them."

"May the fire and the sword that stopped Adam from the gates of Paradise, stop them from the glory of Heaven, until they forebear, and make amends."

"May the evil that fell upon cursed Cain, when he slew his brother Abel, needlessly, fall on them for the needless slaughter that they commit daily."

"May the malediction that fell upon all the world, man and beast, and all that ever took life, when all were drowned by the flood of Noah, except Noah and his ark, fall upon them and drown them, man and beast, and make this realm free of them, for their wicked sins."

"May the thunder and lightning which rained down upon Sodom and Gomorra and all the lands surrounding them, and burned them for their vile sins, rain down upon them and burn them for their open sins. May the evil and confusion that fell on the Gigantis for their opression and pride in building the Tower of Babylon, confound them and all their works, for their open callous disregard and opression."

"May all the plagues that fell upon Pharoah and his people of Egypt, their lands, crops and cattle, fall upon them, their equipment, their places, their lands, their crops and livestock."

"May the waters of the Tweed and other waters which they use, drown them, as the Red Sea drowned King Pharoah and the people of Egypt, preserving God's people of Israel."

"May the Earth open, split and cleave, and swallow them straight to hell, as it swallowed cursed Dathan and Abiron, who disobeyed Moses and the command of God."

"May the wild fire that reduced Thore and his followers to two-hundred-fifty in number, and others from 14,000 to 7,000 at anys, usurping against Moses and Aaron, servants of God, suddenly burn and consume them daily, for opposing the commands of God and Holy Church."

"May the malediction that suddenly fell upon fair Absolom, riding through the wood against his father, King David, when the branches of a tree knocked him from his horse and hanged him by the hair, fall upon these untrue Scotsmen and hang them the same way, that all the world may see."

"May the malediction that fell upon Nebuchadnezzar's lieutenant, Olifernus, making war and savagery upon true christian men; the malediction that fell upon Judas, Pilate, Herod, and the Jews that crucified Our Lord; and all the plagues and troubles that fell on the city of Jerusalem therefore, and upon Simon Magus for his treachery, bloody Nero, Ditius Magcensius, Olibrius, Julianus Apostita and the rest of the cruel tyrants who slew and murdered Christ's holy servants, fall upon them for their cruel tyranny and murder of Christian people."

"And may all the vengeance that ever was taken since the world began, for open sins, and all the plagues and pestilence that ever fell on man or beast, fall on them for their openly evil ways, senseless slaughter and shedding of innocent blood."

"I sever and part them from the church of God, and deliver them immediately to the devil of hell, as the Apostle Paul delivered Corinth. I bar the entrance of all places they come to, for divine service and ministration of the sacraments of holy church, except the sacrament of infant baptism, only; and I forbid all churchmen to hear their confession or to absolve them of their sins, until they are first humbled / subjugated by this curse.""I forbid all christian men or women to have any company with them, eating, drinking, speaking, praying, lying, going, standing, or in any other deed-doing, under the pain of deadly sin."

"I discharge all bonds, acts, contracts, oaths, made to them by any persons, out of loyalty, kindness, or personal duty, so long as they sustain this cursing, by which no man will be bound to them, and this will be binding on all men."

"I take from them, and cast down all the good deeds that ever they did, or shall do, until they rise from this cursing."

"I declare them excluded from all matins, masses, evening prayers, funerals or other prayers, on book or bead (rosary); of all pigrimages and alms deeds done, or to be done in holy church or be christian people, while this curse is in effect."

"And, finally, I condemn them perpetually to the deep pit of hell, there to remain with Lucifer and all his fellows, and their bodies to the gallows of Burrow moor, first to be hanged, then ripped and torn by dogs, swine, and other wild beasts, abominable to all the world. And their candle (light of their life) goes from your sight, as may their souls go from the face of God, and their good reputation from the world, until they forebear their open sins, aforesaid, and rise from this terrible cursing and make satisfaction and penance."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/articles/2005/03/02/carlisle_cursing_stone_feature.shtml

In 2001 all 1,600 words of this curse was resurrected and inscribed on a sculpture in Carlisle since which many folk living there have ascribed a string of bad luck to it's presence. There's a campaign at the moment to have it removed.

wow. I usually just say "f you"

Archbishop of Glasgow said:
"I curse their head and all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain (innermost thoughts), ... and rise from this terrible cursing and make satisfaction and penance. Oh wait, I think I left the cattle locked up in the barn this morning. Never mind."
You took that out context, which I have provided.

LightbulbSun said:

I think it's more just a way to cope with a feeling of helplessness. If things go well, they can say they helped make it happen. If things don't go well, they can say, "At least I tried."

That, or it just gives you something to do while waiting for the inevitable.

and what's the harm? It can't work if you don't try.
I know if I fall out of a building that there is nothing I can do to keep from hitting the ground, but that doesn't mean I won't be flapping my arms like crazy, just in case.

Art said:
One guy that did it in style was the Archbishop of Glasgow, Gavin Dunbar in 1552. who upset by cattle thieves from across the river in Carlisle cursed them thus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/articles/2005/03/02/carlisle_cursing_stone_feature.shtml

In 2001 all 1,600 words of this curse was resurrected and inscribed on a sculpture in Carlisle since which many folk living there have ascribed a string of bad luck to it's presence. There's a campaign at the moment to have it removed.
Lots of cattle rustler descendents eh?

Boy, he didn't miss anything, I think I will use this on my foes. :approve:

Monocles said:

No, people really do believe in this. Some people actually get pissed off if someone says "oh, X is doing well" and in that same breath a bomb falls on X. Then those people are like "look at what you did!" and they go back to perpetually knocking on wood for the rest of their lives.

quit jinxing people and you won't have to worry about it.

I don't know if I'm a jinx, but I'm definitely cursed.

I left my arm sling at home yesterday, so my boss told me to go to the Dr's office at work and have them give me one.

While I was there, the building caught on fire. And they were out of slings.

Evo said:
I don't know if I'm a jinx, but I'm definitely cursed.

I left my arm sling at home yesterday, so my boss told me to go to the Dr's office at work and have them give me one.

While I was there, the building caught on fire. And they were out of slings.
If I ever get into derivatives, I want to find out who insures you and your business, so I can bet against them. :devil:

I have an old sling you can borrow, guess it'd be a slung.

or a slang

1. What is a jinx?

A jinx is a belief or superstition that certain events or actions can bring bad luck or misfortune.

2. Why do people believe in jinxes?

People believe in jinxes because of cognitive biases, cultural influences, and personal experiences. Our brains are wired to find patterns and meaning in events, even when they are random. Additionally, cultural and societal beliefs can reinforce the idea of jinxes, making it a common belief among many people.

3. Can jinxes actually cause bad luck?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that jinxes can cause bad luck. It is more likely that people who believe in jinxes are more likely to notice and remember negative events that confirm their belief, while disregarding or forgetting positive events.

4. How can someone break a jinx?

Breaking a jinx involves breaking the cycle of negative thinking and letting go of the belief in jinxes. This can be achieved by challenging the belief and focusing on positive thoughts and actions instead.

5. Are there any benefits to believing in jinxes?

While there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of jinxes, some people may find comfort in believing in them. It can also serve as a way to cope with uncertainty or unpredictable events in life. However, it is important to recognize that jinxes are not based in reality and can lead to negative thinking and behaviors.