physics girl phd said:
I'd beg to differ. Look at the AIP and APS web sites -- they have some graphs and tables about what people with physics degrees get paid for different types of work with varying degrees of education.
Beg to differ with what? Your post, ZapperZ's post, and the website links confirm what I said in my first post.
I am not saying that getting a bachelors in physics is pointless. Far from it. I have a BS in Applied and Engineering Physics. It has served me quite well over the years even though my job
is not, and has never been, directly in the field of physics.
I looked at those graphs and tables. This one is particularly informative:
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/bachplus5b/table2.htm. The top three factors that influence the salary of a person with a bachelors degree in physics 5 to 9 years out of college are
- Working in a software job
- Being in management
- Having a non-physics advanced technical degree
Having an undergraduate degree in physics provides an excellent basis for pursuing a non-physics advanced degree and for doing many different kinds of technical work, including software. But that advanced degree is not in physics, and most software jobs involve physics peripherally at best. Those in software and those with a non-physics advanced degree most likely have a non-physics career.
I was being a bit facetious in my first paragraph. Those who work in physics for (nearly) free have another name: lab assistants, aka PhD candidates.

I should have put the smiley in my first post.