Should I Pursue a Second Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a recent college graduate looking for a new career path. They are considering a job in the aerospace industry, but are unsure if it is the right decision. They are seeking advice and desire to be around people who will challenge them to grow. The speaker is determined to make a change and is motivated to succeed.
MDHarlan
Good Morning,

I'm going to be graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Sound Recording Technology at the end of this fall semester. After spending the last 4-5 years working 'in the industry', I'm thinking that working bars on nights and weekends isn't really my speed.

At 22, I'm still young and searching for the next thing to spend my time working on. As many of you can probably relate, I find myself leading a pointless existence if I do not have something to focus me. I'm thinking that my next focusing-force could possibly be a career in the aerospace industry.

This would require tons of extra work, learning a new discipline, gathering all of the pre-reqs for admission, getting a higher GPA than I have ever cared to get, staying sane, etc. However, I don't view this as a negative. If I were able to go back and enroll for another BS degree; upon completion (given the correct extracurriculars, lab work and experience) I would be well on my way to a dream job with a dream income.

I'm just not 100% sure that I need to do this. In my mind, I would love to be a person with a kick-ass resume;
BS SRT 2.9
BS Aerospace 3.5
MS Aersospace-avionics 3.5
Satellite project lead, launched on Falcon Heavy

- That kind of thing. I just need help deciding that this is the right thing to do. It may sound like I have my mind made up, but I wake up every day with a shot of "Sh*t, what's next?" "are you over estimating your abilities?" cue existential dread.

I also experience quite a bit of dissatisfaction with the people that I am around currently. I desire to be with the types of people who will challenge me to grow, and have things to teach me. In my current environment (this univ), its hard to even find a career advisor who 'knows what's up'.Any words of wisdom?

MDHarlan

Physics news on Phys.org
I commend you for wanting to make a big change in your life. I encourage you never to weaken, never to go back, and to forge ahead. That imagined resume you projected in your mind is a very good first step. DO NOT falter ...keep at it, and you will make it. I wish you the best of luck, although luck alone is not enough, and I see that you have great drive. DO IT!

1. Can I pursue a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering if my first degree was in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering even if your first degree was in a different field. Many universities offer specific programs for students with non-engineering backgrounds to pursue a second degree in aerospace engineering.

2. Will a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering increase my job prospects?

Having a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering can certainly increase your job prospects, as it shows a strong dedication and interest in the field. However, job prospects also depend on other factors such as experience, skills, and the job market.

3. How long will it take to complete a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering?

The time it takes to complete a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering can vary depending on the specific program and your previous coursework. On average, it can take around 2-3 years if you have completed some of the required prerequisites, but it can take longer if you are starting from scratch.

4. Are there any financial aid options available for pursuing a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering?

Yes, there are financial aid options available for pursuing a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering. You can apply for scholarships, grants, and loans specifically for students pursuing a second degree. It is also worth checking with the university for any financial aid or tuition assistance programs they may offer.

5. What career opportunities are available with a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering?

With a second bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, you can pursue a career in various industries, including aviation, defense, space exploration, and research and development. Some common job titles for aerospace engineers include aircraft design engineer, systems engineer, and aerospace research engineer.