Job opportunties for physicists in the UK?

In summary, there is some concern about job opportunities in the UK after studying physics, especially without a masters degree. Statistics show that having a masters greatly improves employment prospects in science-related fields. However, personal experiences vary and it may be worth considering studying engineering instead. There is also some discouragement towards pursuing fundamental physics research in the UK due to the current climate and lack of support from the government and scientific community.
snkk197
I've been considering studying physics in the UK but looking at the threads here has me a little worried about job opportunities afterwards. Does the same apply abroad, specifically in the UK? I did a search on employment prospects through

http://www.unistats.com

and was so depressed at how few end up as scientists or researchers, maybe 15%. The stats improve hugely with a masters though, between 25-60%. Ok not so unexpected, the universities all say you can get any kind of job with the analytical skills a physics degree will give you, but they recommend a masters is necessary to stay in science, which I would be prepared to do.

I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experiences in the UK or could give me a broad view about job opportunities with and without a masters?

I already have a degree in business. I would love to study physics but not if it means ending up with a career as a banker at the end of it! It makes more sense to study engineering in the long run. It's just that doing the pre-uni course I'm doing now, my heart is breaking a bit at all the stuff I'm going to miss out on, like theoretical physics and astronomy, if I stick with engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
snkk197 said:
I've been considering studying physics in the UK but looking at the threads here has me a little worried about job opportunities afterwards.

Well, keep in mind, when someone is desperate and has no job, they don't hesitate to post places looking for solutions.

When they get their dream job, they rarely go to forums to celebrate.

This isn't to say things are looking good out there, but I don't think we're getting a good random sample here.

Thanks, I'll certainly keep that in mind. I suppose I shouldn't let all the threads get me down about the idea of studying for a physics degree. But I'm applying as a mature student, and I'm paying for another degree out of my own pocket, so I want to be sure I'll have a good chance of employment with a MEng or an MSci in the UK, I don't think I'll get another chance after this.

Given the current climate for fundamental physics research in the UK right now, you want to avoid it at all costs. Because even if you do get a job as a researcher, you will get no encouragement or support from the government. And the UK scientific community is extremely partisan, political and unsupportive, and frankly cares more about grants and links with industry than it does on actual physics research.

1. What types of job opportunities are available for physicists in the UK?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for physicists in the UK, including research positions in universities and government laboratories, as well as roles in industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology. Physicists can also find employment in finance, consulting, and other non-traditional fields.

2. What qualifications are required for a career in physics in the UK?

To pursue a career in physics in the UK, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required. Many positions, especially in research, may also require a master's or doctoral degree. Additionally, strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for success in this field.

3. What is the average salary for physicists in the UK?

The average salary for physicists in the UK varies depending on factors such as experience, industry, and location. According to the Institute of Physics, the average starting salary for physicists in the UK is around £28,000 per year, with the potential to increase significantly with experience and advancement.

4. Are there opportunities for international physicists to work in the UK?

Yes, there are opportunities for international physicists to work in the UK. However, non-UK citizens will typically need to obtain a work visa in order to work in the country. The specific visa requirements and application process may vary depending on the individual's country of origin.

5. What are the current trends in job opportunities for physicists in the UK?

Currently, there is a high demand for physicists in the UK, particularly in fields such as renewable energy, healthcare, and technology. With advancements in these areas, job opportunities for physicists are expected to continue growing in the coming years. Additionally, there is a push for more diversity in the field, with an increasing number of opportunities for women and underrepresented groups.