Job prospects for accelerator physics

In summary: IIn summary, the conversation discusses the individual's initial interest in pursuing a Master's degree in physics specializing in accelerator physics due to its combination of physics and engineering and potential job prospects in both industry and research. However, they are now uncertain about job opportunities for someone with a Master's degree in this field and are considering alternative options. The conversation also touches on the cost of obtaining a Master's degree in the USA and potential job opportunities for international students in Germany or other European countries. It is suggested that an M.S.c in medical physics with a focus on particle accelerators could lead to opportunities in manufacturing companies and hospitals.
ersa17
For a while, I was thinking about pursuing my Master's in physics specializing in accelerator physics for the reasons that, one, it seemed quite fun because it was a mixture of physics and engineering both and I could learn a lot of cool things to do with the particle accelerator(both in industry and research laboratory), and second, it seemed to have a greater job prospect.

But now I am confused as I don't see a lot of jobs for someone with a master's degree in accelerator physics. I see the job vacancies especially for Postdocs or some accelerator physicists with tons of experience but for short-term contracts. I am not interested in going to academia(teaching). I am open to going to either an industry or research laboratory but I didn't see a lot of job vacancies. (Maybe I could be wrong)

I know the question might be a little vague but, what are the job prospects for a master's in accelerator physics in Germany or European countries for an international student? Is it necessary to have a Ph.D.? I think a master's in the USA is quite expensive but have quite good opportunities for jobs compared to European countries. But, for now, I cannot afford to go to the USA, and getting a job in the USA with a german degree seems difficult.

P.S I am talking about long term job prospects because there are no such job opportunities in my country. I would appreciate it if someone could share their insight regarding this topic on job prospects.

Physics news on Phys.org
With an MS you will not be a researcher. You may hold a technical position, such as operator.

Likes ersa17
Vanadium 50 said:
With an MS you will not be a researcher. You may hold a technical position, such as operator.
Thank you for your comment. I am aware about the jobs for acceeleator operator. I just wanted to know if there are some other possibilities as well.

Does it have to be accelerator physics? How about something like Computational Engineering?

https://me.stanford.edu/research-impact/research-areas/research-area-computational-engineering

BTW, I did not find a Master's degree expensive to obtain in the USA, however I am American born
and I easily got support . From what I can see from recent graduates, there is a large fraction of
foreign-born Asian students in the engineering field, particularly ECE, and they seem to do OK with
limited funds and support. You may also be able to support yourself with Summer internships in
industry.

Likes ersa17
ersa17 said:
For a while, I was thinking about pursuing my Master's in physics specializing in accelerator physics for the reasons that, one, it seemed quite fun because it was a mixture of physics and engineering both and I could learn a lot of cool things to do with the particle accelerator(both in industry and research laboratory), and second, it seemed to have a greater job prospect.

But now I am confused as I don't see a lot of jobs for someone with a master's degree in accelerator physics. I see the job vacancies especially for Postdocs or some accelerator physicists with tons of experience but for short-term contracts. I am not interested in going to academia(teaching). I am open to going to either an industry or research laboratory but I didn't see a lot of job vacancies. (Maybe I could be wrong)

I know the question might be a little vague but, what are the job prospects for a master's in accelerator physics in Germany or European countries for an international student? Is it necessary to have a Ph.D.? I think a master's in the USA is quite expensive but have quite good opportunities for jobs compared to European countries. But, for now, I cannot afford to go to the USA, and getting a job in the USA with a german degree seems difficult.

P.S I am talking about long term job prospects because there are no such job opportunities in my country. I would appreciate it if someone could share their insight regarding this topic on job prospects.

The main accelerator physics job I can think of is that related to medical physics. Currently, the business of medical accelerators is booming... The most widely used ones as far as I know are cyclotrons. They are used to make radioactive injections for PET and SPECT scans.

In the time being, there is also a rise in the use of proton/ion treatment. That is, direct bombardment of particles with cancerous cells.

Thus, you are looking at companies like SIEMENS and General Electric. They are the two largest manufacturers of medical equipment.

If you like the idea of cancer treatment with particle accelerators. You might want to consider an M.S.c in medical physics that focuses on particle accelerators. This way, you will not only open to yourself opportunities in manufacturing companies like SIEMENS, but, you will also open to yourself the wide and HUGE door to hospitals. Hospitals that have medical accelerators need technicians who can run the accelerators, maintain them, produce the radioactive material as well as making quality assurance and quality control reports.

You can also work at universities that have accelerator laboratories.

Phylosopher said:
The main accelerator physics job I can think of is that related to medical physics. Currently, the business of medical accelerators is booming... The most widely used ones as far as I know are cyclotrons. They are used to make radioactive injections for PET and SPECT scans.

In the time being, there is also a rise in the use of proton/ion treatment. That is, direct bombardment of particles with cancerous cells.

Thus, you are looking at companies like SIEMENS and General Electric. They are the two largest manufacturers of medical equipment.

If you like the idea of cancer treatment with particle accelerators. You might want to consider an M.S.c in medical physics that focuses on particle accelerators. This way, you will not only open to yourself opportunities in manufacturing companies like SIEMENS, but, you will also open to yourself the wide and HUGE door to hospitals. Hospitals that have medical accelerators need technicians who can run the accelerators, maintain them, produce the radioactive material as well as making quality assurance and quality control reports.

You can also work at universities that have accelerator laboratories.
Thanks for the suggestion. Although I am not really interested in medical field, I like the idea of designing medical particle accelerator. I might not take medical physics as my major, but I might take some courses on medical physics as well. I want to keep my field open for different applicattions of accelerators. If I enjoy accelerator physics much more, I might want to go for PhD to work in national laboratories. However, I think there are a lot of applications in industries as well, so I hope a major in accelerator physics won't hurt if going for manufacturing medical particle accelerators. Except, for SIEMEMS and General Electric -which seems to be in USA- can you suggest me what are the prospects in Europe, particularly in Germany?

ersa17 said:
Except, for SIEMEMS and General Electric -which seems to be in USA- can you suggest me what are the prospects in Europe, particularly in Germany?

GE is American, SIEMENS is German.

Phylosopher said:
GE is American, SIEMENS is German.
Thanks

IBA makes medical cyclotrons in Belgium.

As was mentioned above, a PhD is a requirement if you want to hold a research position. With e.g. an engineering degree you can work on components for accelerators such as RF cavities, magnets and vacuum components. If you want to do beam dynamics you should study a MSc and then PhD in physics - and even then the job prospects in research are limited.

Your best chances would be related to medical physics as suggested above or one of the (many!) engineering disciplines that are relevant for accelerators.

Just to add to my last comment: If you're interested in working at the national laboratories around Europe, you can always check what kinds of positions they have open right now to get a feeling of the job prospects. Here is a (non-exhaustive) list of the larger laboratories (heavily light source biased) in Europe from the top of my head:
Other honorary mentions:
There are many very small laboratories around in Europe that I know very little about too.

What is accelerator physics?

Accelerator physics is a branch of physics that involves the study of particle accelerators, which are machines that accelerate charged particles to high speeds. These machines are used for a variety of purposes, including particle physics research, medical treatments, and industrial applications.

What are the job prospects for accelerator physicists?

The job prospects for accelerator physicists are generally good, as there is a growing demand for professionals in this field. Many research institutions, government laboratories, and private companies have a need for accelerator physicists to design, build, and operate particle accelerators.

What type of education is required for a career in accelerator physics?

A career in accelerator physics typically requires a strong background in physics, mathematics, and engineering. Most professionals in this field have at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, but many also have master's or doctoral degrees.

What skills are necessary for a career in accelerator physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, a career in accelerator physics also requires proficiency in computer programming, data analysis, and problem-solving. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as accelerator physicists often work in teams to design and operate complex machines.

What are the potential salary and job growth opportunities for accelerator physicists?

The salary and job growth opportunities for accelerator physicists can vary greatly depending on their level of education, experience, and the specific industry they work in. However, in general, this field offers competitive salaries and opportunities for career advancement, particularly in areas such as research and development. As technology continues to advance, the demand for accelerator physicists is expected to grow in the coming years.