Joining the military after college

In summary, a grad student in the US will typically have Teaching Assistantships or Research Assistantships to help cover their tuition and living expenses, and they will usually have a deferment on their student loans while they are in school. After that, they will typically get a Research Assistantship that pays their tuition and a small stipend to perform research.
Benzoate
Once I earned my physics and math degrees, I planned to go to graduate school. Problem is, I don't think I will be able to afford to go to graduate school because I will be drowning in college loans I will have to pay back. Think it will be a good idea to join the military since they pay for college before and after you graduate before I apply to grad school? I would like to know other options to consider for a student who desperately wants to earn a master or pHD but is drowning in college debt.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about things such as assistantships, ect. I was under the impression that many graduate students are supported by their academic department. You don't have to pay back loans until you graduate.

what do you mean graduate students are supported by their academic department? do you mean to tell me the academic departments generally finance the student graduate education and students don't pay anything? Anyways I wanted to ask is it a good idea to join the military after you graduate from college in order to pay back student loans for your undergraduate education.

What country are you from? In the US, it is indeed possible to go to school during your enlistment. However, realize that the needs of the government always come first. You will always be a soldier/sailor/airman/marine first. You squeeze school in where you can unless you get lucky enough to get to go to grad school for your military profession.

The military is not the place to simply help you get your education. Entering the military is an extremely important decision that you can not take lightly (especially in today's world). I would highly suggest that you ask yourself this question: If you were not planning on going to grad school, would you have ever considered the military? If the answer is no, I'd start looking at jobs and more loans.

Also remember that as a grad student (unless you have a really bad supervisor) you generally don't get shot at! And car bombs are relatively rare except for some of the more competative English literatre depts.

Benzoate said:
do you mean to tell me the academic departments generally finance the student graduate education and students don't pay anything?

In physics, as a grad student in a medium size department (not a super small department and not a giant one like Urbana-Champlain) the first 2-3 years you will typically get a Teaching Assistantship which will cover your tuition and a small stipend to live on. The stipend is usually enough to live on- but depends on the geographic location of the school and the exact school stipend. In return, you will have to teach some undergraduate classes.

After that, you will typically get a Research Assistantship which pays your tuition and a small stipend to perform research. This depends on your research advisor's funding situation typically.

Also (in the US) you get a deferment in your student loans while you are in school.

also a new bill is about to pass that say that you will only have to pay 15% of your salary towards your loans for 10 years , and then the government will pay the rest.

By what I heard, it is very rare in the US for a Physics PhD student to pay for grad school, or at least to not have any assisstantships/scholarships/aid at all.

Back in the Vietnam era, that is exactly why I joined the Navy, worked like a charm, BUT. I did it for my undergrad degree. To delay grad school for 4 to 6 yrs of Military nonsense would not help you. As already stated in the US you will be PAID to go to grad shoool. Just do it

Integral said:
Back in the Vietnam era, that is exactly why I joined the Navy, worked like a charm, BUT. I did it for my undergrad degree. To delay grad school for 4 to 6 yrs of Military nonsense would not help you. As already stated in the US you will be PAID to go to grad shoool. Just do it

didn't you have to serve after undergrad?

The only reason you should join the military is because you love your country and are willing to make some serious sacrafices for it.

If you join up primarily for the college money you will hate it.

I joined after my undergrad not for the money but because I wanted to serve.

There are easier ways to make a good living.

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of joining the military after college?

Joining the military after college can provide a variety of benefits, including educational opportunities, job security, healthcare benefits, and leadership training. Some branches of the military also offer loan repayment programs and signing bonuses.

2. What are the requirements for joining the military after college?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the branch of the military, but in general, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and pass a physical exam and background check.

3. Can I choose my job in the military after college?

Yes, you can choose your job in the military after college, but it ultimately depends on the needs of the military and your qualifications. Some branches may offer more job options than others, and you may need to take a skills test to determine your eligibility for certain jobs.

4. Will joining the military after college delay my career goals?

It depends on your specific career goals and how you plan to use your military experience. Some military jobs may directly translate to civilian careers, while others may not. However, the leadership and teamwork skills gained in the military can be valuable in any career path.

5. Can I join the military after college if I have student loans?

Yes, you can join the military after college if you have student loans. In fact, some branches of the military offer loan repayment programs. You may also be able to consolidate or defer your loans while serving in the military.