June 2017 Petya Ransomware Virus Hits Ukraine

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2017 Virus
In summary: March is when the patch was released, but running the default Windows firewall prevents a system from being compromised over the network, whether it's patched or not.
This new virus used multiple means of attack to infect machines on a network. The initial attack came from a legitimate software updater program:

Microsoft on Tuesday confirmed some initial infections in the Petya ransomware attacks occurred via Ukraine-based tax accounting software firm M.E.Doc, which develops MEDoc.

The finding solves part of the mystery surrounding yesterday's huge ransomware outbreakthat hit industry giants like shipping firm Maersk, but took a particularly heavily toll on organizations in the Ukraine, including banks, energy companies and even Kiev's main airport.

Security researchers speculated a corrupted MEDoc updater was the initial infection vector. However, Microsoft now says it has solid evidence that at least some infections were due to a software supply-chain attack that started with a legitimate MEDoc updater process.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...tacks-were-spread-by-hacked-software-updater/

Likes Asymptotic, QuantumQuest and Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
People are speechless in the face of this viral onslaught.

Likes QuantumQuest and stoomart
jedishrfu said:
People are speechless in the face of this viral onslaught.
I just shake my head that there are still systems out there that either don't get patched, or don't run host firewalls to block the spread of this stuff. Microsoft started blocking this kind of attack out of the box with Windows XP SP2 in 2004.

Likes QuantumQuest and OCR
stoomart said:
I just shake my head that there are still systems out there that either don't get patched, or don't run host firewalls to block the spread of this stuff. Microsoft started blocking this kind of attack out of the box with Windows XP SP2 in 2004.
I'm confused. Wikipedia article says:
The EternalBlue exploit had been previously identified, and Microsoft issued patches in March 2017 to shut down the exploit for the latest versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2016
Doesn't this imply that their OSs did not block this kin of attack until March of this year?

Bandersnatch said:
I'm confused. Wikipedia article says:

Doesn't this imply that their OSs did not block this kin of attack until March of this year?
March is when the patch was released, but running the default Windows firewall prevents a system from being compromised over the network, whether it's patched or not. You have to disable or misconfigure the firewall for the malware to spread around your network.

Likes Bandersnatch

1. What is the Petya ransomware virus?

The Petya ransomware virus is a type of malicious software that infects computers and encrypts their files, making them inaccessible to the user. This virus first appeared in 2016 and has since evolved into various versions, including the June 2017 attack on Ukraine.

2. How did the June 2017 Petya ransomware virus specifically target Ukraine?

The June 2017 Petya ransomware virus targeted Ukraine through a software update of a popular Ukrainian accounting software called MeDoc. The virus was disguised as a legitimate update and was able to spread quickly through the software's network, infecting many computers in Ukraine.

3. Was the June 2017 Petya ransomware virus a targeted attack?

There is evidence to suggest that the June 2017 Petya ransomware virus was a targeted attack on Ukraine, as it mainly affected organizations and businesses in the country. However, it also spread to other countries, causing widespread damage.

4. How does the Petya ransomware virus encrypt files?

The Petya ransomware virus uses a technique called "worm-like" behavior, where it spreads from computer to computer through a network. Once it infects a computer, it encrypts the files on the hard drive and demands a ransom payment in exchange for a decryption key.

5. How can individuals and organizations protect themselves against the Petya ransomware virus?

To protect against the Petya ransomware virus, it is essential to regularly update software and operating systems, use strong and unique passwords, and back up important files regularly. It is also crucial to be cautious when opening emails and attachments from unknown senders and to have reliable antivirus software installed on all devices.